Alan Rottenberg conducts a broad-based real estate, business and philanthropic practice. Since joining the firm in 1969, he has engaged primarily in providing general counsel and strategic planning to businesses, individuals and families; counseling developers, business entrepreneurs, institutional lenders and major tenants in sophisticated real estate and business transactions; and providing philanthropic and wealth transfer counseling. Alan’s distinguished experience in representing different sides of transactions enables him to anticipate and add perspective and judgment to issues important to the various parties in a complex transaction. Chambers USA recognizes Alan as "a seasoned leader in the field, esteemed for his diverse experience in a broad spectrum of real estate matters." Alan is a Director at the firm.
- Provides general counsel and strategic advice to New England Development, S.R. Weiner & Associates, The Druker Company, Cohen/Rothenberg Realty, The Green Company, Mugar Enterprises Inc., and their principals.
- Serves as trustee and/or counsel to families and charitable foundations, including the Stoneman Family Foundation, Druker Family Foundation, Mugar Family Foundation, Sherman Family Charitable Trust, and Berenson Charitable Foundation.
- Counsel to New England Development and Affiliates in the $1.725 Billion portfolio sale of 14 regional malls and the related management company to Simon Property Group joint venture.
- Counsel to CWB Boylston in the development, financing and leasing/sale of the Mandarin Oriental Boston mixed-use hotel, condominium, rental and retail project.
- Counsel to Boston Properties (REIT) in the acquisition, financing, leasing and expansion of the Prudential Center, Boston, MA and the Embarcadero Center, San Francisco, CA.
- Represents developers of regional shopping malls, community centers, downtown mixed-use projects, suburban office buildings, and luxury residential condominiums.
- Represents lenders in complex financings, including the International Place and Back Bay Hilton projects.
- Provides special counsel to landlords and tenants nationally.
Professional and Community Involvement
- Fellow, American College of Real Estate Lawyers (ACREL)
- International Council of Shopping Centers (ICSC)
- Director and former Chair of the Board, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center
- Former Chair, Real Estate Section, Boston Bar Association
- Former Editorial Board Member, Real Estate Finance Association (REFA)
- Former Vice Chair of the Board, CareGroup, Inc.
- Overseer, Boston Symphony Orchestra
- Board of Governors, Combined Jewish Philanthropies of Greater Boston, Inc.
- Director, Boston’s Fourth of July Foundation, Inc.
- Director, New Center for Arts and Culture
- Director, Stoneman Charitable Foundation
- Former Director, Newton Schools Foundation
- The International Who’s Who of Real Estate Lawyers
Awards and Recognition
- Martindale Hubbell Peer Review Rated AV Preeminent TM
- Combined Jewish Philanthropy 2011 Community of Excellence Award
- Best Lawyers, Boston Real Estate Law "Lawyer of the Year," 2013
- Best Lawyers in America, 2004-2017
- Massachusetts Super Lawyers, 2004 - 2015
- "America's Leading Business Lawyers," Chambers USA 2003-2015
- Fellow, American College of Real Estate Lawyers
- Listed as one of the World’s Leading Real Estate Lawyers, 2004
- The International Who’s Who of Real Estate Lawyers, 2004