Columbia University School of Law, J.D., 2005
Oxford University, D.Phil., 2000
Oxford University, M.S.t., 1996
University of Georgia, M.A., 1995
University of Georgia, B.A., 1993
Brad Bedingfield structures solutions for transition of wealth to future generations, including lifetime and testamentary transfers, in a way that promotes family harmony, protects family-owned businesses, reduces the impact of transfer and inheritance tax on family legacies, and secures the family’s long-term philanthropic goals.
Brad also establishes public charities and private foundations for individuals and corporations, advises on various charitable structures and transactions, and represents charities seeking tax-exempt status, private rulings or settlement of controversies before the IRS.
Brad is a former Tax Law Specialist with the IRS’ Exempt Organizations Division, a former associate for an international law firm, and a former lecturer in medieval literature.
- Establish complicated estate plans, including GRATs, dynasty trusts, and charitable trusts to reduce transfer taxes and secure family legacies.
- Assist multinational families to understand and minimize the tax and administrative implications of cross-border citizenship, residency, trusts and asset structures.
- Represent trustees in court proceedings to modify or reform trust instruments, including retroactive reformations, to further the intent of the trust settlor.
- Advise on structures intended to soften the impact of transfer tax on privately-held companies and to transition corporate management to future generations.
- Establish charitable organizations and apply for tax-exempt status and private letter rulings.
- Advise and assist exempt organizations on the tax implications of proposed structures and activities.
- Provide charitable giving advice to individual and corporate clients.
Professional and Community Involvement
- Boston Bar Association, 2013 to 2015, Co-Chair of Communications Committee, Tax Exempt Organizations Section; 2010 to 2012, Co-Chair of Public Policy Committee, Trusts and Estates Section
- Secretary and Steering Committee Member, STEP Boston (Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners)
Awards and Recognition
- Massachusetts Super Lawyers Rising Stars, 2014