Chris is a Director in the firm’s Litigation group. With more than 20 years of experience, Chris has represented private and public companies, governmental agencies and individuals before federal and state courts, administrative agencies and arbitration tribunals. Chris’ practice is focused on the preparation and trial of complex civil cases involving a broad range of business and commercial issues including matters involving breach of contract and business torts, construction-related disputes, competitive procurement disputes, land use and other real property disputes, and insurance coverage disputes. He has served as lead counsel in trials in Massachusetts and New York, and has been appointed Special Assistant Attorney General for the Commonwealth of Massachusetts in lawsuits brought against the Commonwealth in state and federal courts.
Chris has also assisted clients of all sizes with regard to matters involving privacy and data protection and security, and has represented companies in governmental investigations, civil enforcement actions and litigation relating to data security breaches.
- Special Assistant Attorney General for the Commonwealth of Massachusetts in the successful defense of a putative class action lawsuit brought in Federal Court in New Jersey, and subsequently appealed to the Third Circuit Court of Appeals, by out-of-state residents challenging the constitutionality of the Massachusetts Turnpike Authority's FASTLANE toll discount program. Yerger v. Massachusetts Turnpike Authority.
- Represented a Boston restaurant group in connection with a civil enforcement action brought in state court by the Massachusetts Attorney General under the State's data privacy law, G.L. c. 93H.
- Represented at the trial and appellate level a property owner in a lawsuit brought by an abutting property owner claiming that an "easement for light and air" prevented the commercial development of a building in a manner that would obstruct the windows of the abutter's building. Ganiatsos v. Board of Appeals of Boston & another.
- Represented the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority in an administrative bid protest filed with the Federal Transit Authority by an unsuccessful bidder to a $114 million contract for purchase of diesel locomotives.
- Represented a leading independent pharmacy services provider in a Federal Court constitutional-based lawsuit challenging the termination of a State correctional facilities pharmaceutical contract. Correctional Medical Care, Inc. v. Commonwealth of Massachusetts State Office of Pharmacy Services, et al.
- Represented the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority in a lawsuit brought by an unsuccessful bidder challenging the award of a $155 million contract for paratransit services known as THE RIDE. Kiessling Transit Inc. v. Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority, et. al.
- Represented at the trial and appellate level a commercial developer in a lawsuit concerning an option/right of first refusal to purchase units in a condominium building in Boston and the expedited dissolution of a lis pendens in a case of first impression under G.L. c. 231, §15. Gallipault v. Wash Rock Investments LLC, et al.
- Represented the Massachusetts Transportation Authority in a series of lawsuits brought in the Massachusetts trial and appellate courts challenging the award of a $100 million contract for the manufacture and installation of system-wide automatic fare collection equipment. Cubic Transportation Systems, Inc. v. Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority, et al.; Thales e-Transaction, CGA v. Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority.
- Represented a major national telecommunications provider in various real estate disputes including zoning and access disputes with City and Town municipal authorities and governmental agencies.
- Represented commercial property owners in lawsuits alleging bodily injury and property damage claims arising out of alleged exposure to mold.
- Represented property owners in administrative enforcement proceedings brought by the Department of Environmental Protection arising out of alleged illegal landfilling, disposal of hazardous materials and filling of wetlands.
- Represented real estate entities and insurers in several matters involving structural and subsurface failures of buildings sustained at retail locations throughout the US causing extensive property damage and interruption of business.
- Represented insurers in matters involving failures that occurred at a state-of-the-art wastewater and sewage treatment facility in Boston over a period of years causing interruption of processing and extensive property damage.
Professional and Community Involvement
- Zoning Board of Appeals, Boxborough, MA
- President, Acton Boxborough Youth Soccer
- Board Member, Friends of Lower Fields
- Massachusetts Bar Association
- Boston Bar Association
- New York Bar Association
- University Risk Management & Insurance Association
Awards and Recognition
- Martindale Hubbell Peer Review Rated AV Preeminent TM
- Massachusetts SuperLawyer – Rising Star, 2005
Publications & Mentions
|March 31, 2015|
|Managing the Risky Business of Loyalty Programs|
|"Alternate Dispute Resolution in Land Use and Permitting Disputes," National Association of Industrial and Office Properties, Massachusetts Forum for Commercial Real Estate|