Bankruptcy and creditors’ rights matters are at the core of Christine Lynch's practice. Chris represents unsecured creditors’ committees, debtors, secured creditors, landlords and shareholders in all manners of insolvency proceedings. Chambers USA describes Chris as an individual with "a huge amount of energy and tremendous efficiency, a good tactical practitioner - adept, capable and pragmatic... known for her prowess in creditors' rights matters."
Chris also represents buyers of assets out of bankruptcy, lenders and borrowers in out-of-court workouts and borrowers in asset-backed securitizations transactions. Chris is a Director and a former editorial board member for the firm's retail blog, Retail Law Advisor.
- Representation of Edens in its successful acquisition of a majority interest in Closter Plaza in Closter, New Jersey in the chapter 11 cases of Aspi & Bakhtaver Irani in the District of New Jersey.
- Representation of Magic Brands and Fuddruckers, an owner, operator and franchisor of over 200 fast casual restaurants in the United States and Canada, in their chapter 11 cases in the District of Delaware.
- Representation of Victor Oolitic Stone Company in its chapter 11 bankruptcy case involving the successful disposition of its assets as a going concern.
- Special counsel to Tweeter Home Entertainment Group and affiliated debtors in connection with their chapter 11 cases involving the successful disposition of the assets of the company as a going concern.
- Special counsel to Hoop Retail (prior owner of the Disney Stores) in connection with their chapter 11 cases.
- Counsel to Gordon Brothers Group in the successful acquisition and wind down of CompUSA, Inc.
- Counsel to GMAC Commercial Finance as secured lender in the chapter 11 case of BC Sports, a retailer of sports memorabilia.
- Counsel to Omni Facility Services, Inc. and thirteen affiliated debtors in their chapter 11 cases involving the successful disposition of five business units.
- Counsel to High Voltage Engineering Corporation and its ten subsidiaries in their chapter 11 reorganization.
- Representation of official committees of unsecured creditors in the chapter 11 cases of Elephant & Castle, Organogenesis Inc., Parks Corporation, USM Corporation, Whistler Corporation and CSA, Inc.
- Representation of stalking horse and competing bidders in connection with bankruptcy asset sales.
- Representation of landlords in chapter 11 cases of Ames Department Stores, Inc., Bob’s Stores, Bradlees Stores, Inc., Circuit City, Filene’s Basement, Garden Botanika, KB Toys, Linens 'n Things, Loehmann’s, The Newport Creamery, This End Up and Weathervane.
- Special debtor-in-possession financing counsel for Malden Mills Industries, Inc.
- Advised retailer on structuring and conducting store-closing sales.
- Representation of joint venture retained to mitigate damages of guarantor of leases relative to locations closed by debtor/tenant.
- Counsel to inventory liquidator in retail chapter 11 cases.
Professional and Community Involvement
- Board of Directors, West Suburban YMCA, September 2012-present
- Boston Bar Association Bankruptcy Law Section
- Co-Chair of Practice and Procedures Committee, 2003-2005
- Steering Committee member, 2003-2010
- American Bankruptcy Institute
- International Women’s Insolvency & Restructuring Confederation
- Turnaround Management Association
- Association for Corporate Growth
- Board of Directors, ACG Boston, Sept. 2010-Present
- Chair of Emerging Professionals Committee, 2008-2011
- Local Rules Advisory Committee, United States Bankruptcy Court for the District of Massachusetts, 2003-2006
Awards and Recognition
- Martindale Hubbell Peer Review Rated AV Preeminent TM
- Best Lawyers in America, 2009-2014
- Chambers USA, “America's Leading Business Lawyers,” 2005-2013
- Massachusetts Super Lawyer, 2006-2013
- Massachusetts Super Lawyers Rising Stars, 2005-2006
- Moderator, "Lessons Learned from Recent Retail Bankruptcies," ICSC Boston Leasing Symposium, January, 2009
- Moderator, "Troubled Portfolio Companies," ABI Northeast Bankruptcy Conference, July 2008
- Moderator, “New Rules and Forms Under the Bankruptcy Code Amendments.” Boston Bar Association, November 2005
- Panelist, "Reasoned Opinions." Boston Bar Association, October 2004
- Panelist, "Recent Developments Concerning Leases in Bankruptcy." MCLE, October 2003
- Panelist, "Designation Rights: When and How They Are Sold and How They Work." ABI Northeast Bankruptcy Conference, July 2003
- Panelist, "What Every Real Estate Lawyer Needs to Know About Bankruptcy." MCLE, May 2002