Darren M. Baird focuses his practice on complex commercial real estate transactions and development for a broad array of owners, developers and lenders. Darren represents non-profit institutions in all aspects of their real estate and facilities, with a particular focus on academic medical centers and other health care providers as well as institutions of higher education. In this context, he has extensive experience in appearing before and negotiating with governmental agencies and authorities, negotiating and structuring joint venture agreements and ground leases with for-profit entities and in understanding and implementing measures to address 501(c)(3) governance, UBTI and credit rating agency concerns that may arise in such transactions.
Darren also represents a number of clients, ranging from non-profit developers to national multifamily REITS, in the acquisition, financing, permitting and development of housing developments, including those undertaken pursuant to M.G.L. Chapter 40B, the Department of Housing and Community Development’s Local Initiative Program and M.G.L. Chapter 40R.
Prior to joining the firm, Darren worked as a judicial clerk to the Honorable Leon J. Lombardi, Land Court Department for the Massachusetts Trial Court. He also served as Chief Articles Editor for the International Law Review at Suffolk University School of Law.
Darren is co-Chair of the firm's Medical, Educational and Cultural industry group.
- Counsel to major teaching hospital in acquisition, leasing, permitting, development, construction, financing and master planning of numerous projects in the Greater Boston Metropolitan Area, ranging from hospital/clinical facilities to endowment real estate investments to life-science facilities and research laboratories.
- Zoning and development counsel to high-profile institution of higher education, which work includes the rezoning of 26-acre expanse of urban land adjacent to the institution’s main campus and numerous land use and permitting matters;
- Counsel to Dana-Farber Cancer Institute in the development and construction of a 250,000 square foot clinical cancer facility in Boston and other permitting and land use matters.
- Advise medical and higher educational institutions in numerous master planning in and around their campuses as well as with regard to non-facility related acquisition, development, financing, ownership and operational matters. Counsel to national multifamily REIT in the acquisition, permitting and development of multifamily residential communities, including the acquisition and permitting of high-rise apartment building planned in the City of Boston.
- Counsel to an academic institution in the $500 million sale of a 1.2 million square foot laboratory and office campus in the Greater Boston Metropolitan Area.
- Representation of international non-profit organization in the development and financing of affordable elderly housing and mixed-income developments, including a housing development under the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development Section 202 Program and the refinancing of HUD direct loans for projects developed under the Section 202 Program.
- Counsel to international religious non-profit in the acquisition and development of a 90,000 square-foot community center in the Uphams Corner area of Boston.
- Representation of institutional lenders and a national insurance company in numerous mortgage loans.
Professional and Community Involvement
- Massachusetts Bar Association
- Real Estate Bar Association
Awards and Recognition
- Massachusetts Super Lawyers Rising Stars, 2009 - 2013