Complex litigation matters, employment disputes, professional malpractice claims and various landlord/tenant and real property matters are the focus of Elizabeth Levine's practice. She represents clients at all levels of administrative agencies, state and federal courts. Elizabeth is an Associate in the firm's Litigation group.
- Routinely advises clients including national retailers, hotels and joint ventures, in connection with their obligations under the Worker Adjustment Retraining and Notification Act (and state law counterparts) with respect to acquisitions, sales, mass layoffs and cessation of business. Recently assisted a high-end fashion retailer with nationwide WARN Act obligations in connection with its Chapter 11 Bankruptcy filing.
- Jury verdict in favor of plaintiff seafood supplier on breach of contract and negligence claims arising out of the transportation of crabmeat product that arrived at its destination out of temperature (2011).
- Awarded summary judgment in favor of landlord based on tenant's failure to pay disputed common area maintenance charges (2011).
- Achieved summary judgment on behalf of supplier of turf industry products in connection with unpaid invoices for goods sold and delivered (2011).
- Earned summary judgment (affirmed on appeal) in favor of developer wrongfully accused of unfair and deceptive trade practices in connection with measurement methodology of newly constructed luxury high end condominium units. Lassner v. TDC Peabody Atelier, LLC, 77 Mass. App. Ct. 1120 (Mass. App. 2010).
- Achieved summary judgment on behalf of law firm wrongfully accused of committing legal malpractice and breach of fiduciary duty in connection with patent prosecution before the US Dist. Ct. of Massachusetts. Max-Planck-Gesellschaft zur Foerderung der Wissenschaften e.v. v. Wolf Greenfield & Sacks, P.C., 736 F. Supp. 2d 353 (D. Mass. 2010).
- Obtained summary judgment in favor of employer defending disability discrimination lawsuit in Suffolk Superior Court (affirmed on appeal). Brooks v. Peabody & Arnold, LLP, 71 Mass. App. Ct. 46 (Mass. App. 2008).
- Granted summary judgment for law firm on claims of breach of contract, Chapter 93A, and breach of fiduciary duty brought by non-client of the firm (2008).
- Awarded summary judgment in favor of employer defending Wage Act and Worker Adjustment Retraining Notification class action lawsuit before the US Dist. Ct. of Massachusetts. Manchester v. Main Street Textiles, L.P., et al., 478 F. Supp. 2d 120 (D. Mass. 2007).
- Achieved findings of lack of probable cause at the Massachusetts Commission Against Discrimination on behalf of employers defending claims of race, sex and age discrimination.
- Counsels clients in all aspects of their relations with employees, including hiring, firing, discipline, compliance with governing law, workplace trainings and employee handbooks.
- Regularly appears in district and housing courts on behalf of landlords in disputes with tenants over non-payment of rent.
Professional and Community Involvement
- Discovering Justice/Legal Apprenticeship Program
- Citizen Schools Eighth Grade Academy Apprenticeship Program
- Massachusetts Legal Clinic for the Homeless
- BBA Landlord/Tenant Lawyer for the Day Program
- Boston Bar Association
- Massachusetts Bar Association
- American Bar Association
Awards and Recognition
- Massachusetts Super Lawyers "Rising Stars", 2009-2011
- Up and Coming Lawyer, Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly, August 2008.