Land use and development, zoning, historic preservation, municipal law and urban renewal in the District of Columbia are at the center of Jeff Utz's practice. Jeff is a Director in the Firm's Washington, DC office. He represents clients in the development of mixed-use, office, retail, institutional and residential projects.
- Assists clients in various land use and zoning issues relating to the development of new corporate, retail, institutional and office facilities, as well as residential properties.
- Represents clients before authorities including the D.C. Zoning Commission, the D.C. Board of Zoning Adjustment (BZA), the D.C. Historic Preservation Review Board (HPRB), the National Capitol Planning Commission (NCPC) and the D.C. City Council.
- Has been actively involved in litigation related to zoning and historic preservation issues.
- Advises clients on a variety of transactional matters, including acquisitions and dispositions, public private partnerships and the purchase and sale of bonus development rights (such as transferable development rights (TDRs) and combined lot development rights (CLDs).
Professional and Community Involvement
- Jubilee Support Alliance (JSA), Past-President and current Director, Board of Directors
- DC Building Industry Association (DCBIA)
- DCBIA Leaders in Development (DLD), Member, Executive Committee
- DCBIA – Legislative Affairs Committee – Co-Chair
- The Real Estate Group of DC
- DC Bar Association
- Virginia Bar Association
- American Bar Association
Awards and Recognition
- Bisnow’s top “35 under 35” in Washington, D.C. Real Estate, 2007.
- Washington Business Journal "Top Guns" Young Lawyer Award, 2007.