Clients turn to John Twohig for advice on complex land use, zoning and permitting matters. John has extensive experience working with planning boards, zoning boards, conservation commissions, boards of selectmen and city and town officials, as well as various federal and state regulatory agencies. He also represents real estate developers in land acquisitions, title issues and financing arrangements. John is a Director with the firm.
- Represents New England Development, a national shopping center and mixed use developer, in the acquisition, permitting and development of new regional shopping mall projects in Plymouth, Marlborough and Leominster, Massachusetts and Tiverton, Rhode Island, and the acquisition, permitting and redevelopment of existing malls in Auburn, Brockton and Danvers, Massachusetts and Burlington, Vermont, as well as represents New England Development in the planning and permitting of mixed-use residential, retail and office complexes in Newton (Chestnut Hill), Newburyport and Nantucket.
- Represents the developer of Boston’s Pier 4 in all phases of permitting the site for a mixed use project [retail-residential-hotel-office], including working with the Boston Redevelopment Authority and related municipal regulatory agencies, and the State Executive Office of Energy and Environmental Affairs as to the Municipal Harbor Plan, Chapter 91 and MEPA issues.
- Represented the owners of Gillette Stadium and the New England Patriots in the rezoning, permitting and securing of federal, state and local approvals to build the $325 million dollar professional football-soccer stadium in Foxborough.
- Represents the owners of Gillette Stadium in all phases of the local and state permitting of the new “Patriot Place”, 1.35 million square foot retail, office and hotel complex located adjacent to Gillette Stadium.
- Represents Stop & Shop Supermarket Company in the permitting of Super Stop & Shop stores in Northborough, Sutton, Hingham, Foxborough, and Boston, Massachusetts and other communities.
- Represents the largest land-owner in Massachusetts, A.D. Makepeace Company, in the development and permitting of a 1,175 unit community in Plymouth, Massachusetts.
- Represents a regional developer of senior housing in the development and permitting of lifestyle communities for the “over-62” market to provide 2,000 residents with lifetime residential and healthcare opportunities.
- Represents a family owned healthcare company in the permitting, development and financing of more than ten (10) assisted living and on site nursing home care facilities in Southern Massachusetts.
- Represented a horse racing and entertainment company in obtaining all state and local permits for the redevelopment of a racing and gaming facility.
Professional and Community Involvement
- Massachusetts Conveyancers Association
- Boston Bar Association
- Former Director, Brockton 21st Century Development Corporation
Awards and Recognition
- Chambers USA, America’s Leading Business Lawyers, 2005-2013
- Massachusetts Super Lawyer, 2005 - 2015