The commercial real estate and hospitality industries turn to John Ratino on matters involving real estate capital markets, investment trusts, joint ventures, financings, development, acquisitions and dispositions, restructurings and workouts, in addition to traditional business transactions. John is Co-Chair of the firm's Hospitality & Recreation industry group. Chambers USA recognizes John as "very experienced, business-minded, responsive and resourceful." Chambers continues, "John is always thinking a couple of step ahead."
John is an Adjunct Professor at Georgetown University Law Center.
- Represent client in reorganization and recapitalization of $1.2 billion Class A office property portfolio.
- Negotiate joint venture to acquire billion dollar hotel property portfolio.
- Extensive experience in the hospitality industry, involving hotel acquisitions, dispositions and financings, management and franchise agreements, and public offerings.
- Advise real estate investment trusts as well as other public and private companies with regard to their acquisitions, dispositions, financings and development projects.
- Counsel clients across all areas of the commercial real estate industry, including, hospitality, resort, multi-family, office, industrial, and specialized use properties.
- Represent clients with regard to tax-deferred real estate transactions, including operating partnership unit transactions and Section 1031 exchanges.
- Negotiate joint venture agreements between numerous public and privately held companies. Significant experience with regard to corporate real estate restructurings.
- Represent syndicators, sponsors and investors in low-income housing tax credit and historic rehabilitation tax credit transactions, consisting of both single property investments and multifamily funds.
Professional and Community Involvement
- Fellow, American College of Real Estate Lawyers
- District of Columbia Bar Association
- Maryland Bar Association
Awards and Recognition
- "America's Leading Business Lawyers," Chambers USA 2011-2015
- "Stars of the Bar," Biennial List of Washington's Best Lawyers, The Washingtonian, 2015
- Martindale Hubbell, Peer-Review Rated AV Preeminent®
- Top Rated Lawyer in Banking and Finance Law, 2013
- Best Lawyers in America, 2015-2017
- Super Lawyers, Washington, DC, 2013-2014