American University Washington College of Law, J.D., 1982, with honors,
Florida State University, M.C.P., 1975, with honors, City Planning
Clemson University, B.A., 1973, with honors
Zoning, land use, historic preservation, land development and related litigation matters are the focus of John Epting's practice. He has directed office, residential and mixed-use projects and subdivisions through the District of Columbia Zoning Commission, the Board of Zoning Adjustment (BZA), the National Capital Planning Commission, the Historic Preservation Review Board, and the Mayor's Agent for Historic Preservation, as well as through all appropriate permit and related approval processes. In addition, John’s practice includes cellular antenna approvals and siting in DC. John is a Director in the firm's Real Estate group.
John has been recognized for handling more Transferable Development Rights (TDRs) and Combined Lot Development (CLDs) transactions than anyone in the region.
- Drafting and processing covenants (including numerous transferable development rights and combined lot development covenants), single record lot agreements, easements and other agreements related to all aspects of land development.
- Detailed knowledge in technical issues related to building permits, public space permits, projection modifications and interpretations related to the DC Building Code, including specific experience related to commercial signage.
- Litigation and BZA appeals related to zoning and historic preservation issues.
- Experience with complex mixed-use projects and renovations.
Professional and Community Involvement
Awards and Recognition
- Best Lawyers in America, 2007 - 2009 and 2011-2018
- Martindale HubbellTM Top Rated Lawyer in 'Land Use And Zoning', 2013
- Named a “Top Washington Lawyer,” Washington Business Journal, 2007
- Martindale Hubbell Peer Review Rated AV Preeminent TM