Public and privately held corporations, private equity firms, real estate owners and developers, REITs, lenders, tenants, and educational and healthcare institutions all turn to Jonathan Pearlson on a variety of environmental matters. Jonathan has extensive experience with due diligence, compliance and auditing, Brownfields matters (acquisition, redevelopment, and disposition), enforcement actions, environmental risk management, PRP counseling (information request responses, PRP representation, and Superfund litigation), and asbestos and mold management, remediation and claims handling. Chambers USA remarks that "Jonathan is a driving force behind policy in environmental insurance." Their resources comment that "Jonathan's work is fantastic, covering every base." As a significant portion of his practice, Jonathan reviews, negotiates and assists clients with the placement of environmental insurance policies, and successfully pursues claims on their behalf. Jonathan, who is a Director with the firm, also has broad experience with analyzing clients’ historic general liability insurance programs and maximizing the use of those assets to offset environmental liabilities.
- Conduct environmental due diligence on behalf of purchaser of $500 million retail property portfolio.
- Represent private equity company with respect to the environmental aspects of the acquisition of a light industrial company with a nationwide footprint.
- Advise client with facilities throughout the United States in connection with wastewater, air, and other permitting issues across the country, and assist company in the design and implementation of environmental auditing program.
- Represent bio-pharmaceutical company in connection with $200 million research and development campus acquisition.
- Represent client in connection with environmental issues associated with the acquisition of a network of railroad lines and rail yards.
- Negotiate $40,000,000 environmental insurance coverage program for contaminated former chemical manufacturing facility.
- Represent lender in connection with pre-foreclosure due diligence on contaminated collateral and provide advice concerning preservation of lender liability protections.
- Structure and negotiate environmental insurance program for nationally ranked teaching hospital (coverage including environmental contamination liability, liability for infectious waste disposal, and liability for mold and other airborne contaminants).
- Represent manufacturer of retail goods in connection with California Proposition 65 actions concerning lead in apparel.
- Advise international data transmission and storage company in connection with environmental permitting and contamination matters.
- Represent developer of a $100 million multi-use building on contaminated property with respect to cleanup, contract, and environmental insurance issues.
- Represent chemical manufacturer in connection with multi-billion dollar Superfund site.
- Defend airline industry corporation in enforcement action concerning the inappropriate transportation and disposal of jet fuel.
- Advise company alleged to be responsible for contamination of public drinking water wells and associated manage associated litigation and remediation.
Professional and Community Involvement
Awards and Recognition
- “America’s Leading Business Lawyers," Chambers USA
- Best Lawyers in America, 2008-2017
- Massachusetts Super Lawyers, 2004 - 2016
- "Understanding, Negotiating, & Using Environmental Insurance in Today's Market," MCLE, Boston
- “Managing Risk & Unlocking Value in Contaminated Real Estate," CoreNet Global Summit, San Diego,
- “States’ Perspectives on Environmental Insurance," EPA Environmental Insurance Symposium, Washington D.C.
- "Environmental Insurance to Make Brownfields Deals Work," EnviroExpo, Boston