Complex partnership transactions, including the tax and securities law aspects of limited liability companies, limited partnerships and joint ventures, are the focus of Julia Livingston's practice. Julia represents sponsors in creating real estate ownership vehicles, unregistered investment companies, real estate equity or mortgage funds, family partnerships, and partnerships for the conduct of ongoing businesses. Her practice includes low-income housing tax credits, historic tax credits, new markets tax credits, carried interests, UPREITs, equity kickers, redemption and retirement of partners, and the participation by retirement plans and other tax-exempt entities and institutional investors in partnerships of all kinds. Julia is a Director in the firm.
- Represented a Massachusetts-based developer and manager of affordable housing on the successful sale of a multi-property portfolio in one of the largest affordability preservation transactions in the Commonwealth’s history.
- Represented a limited liability company selling a controlling interest to a new partner in a transaction designed to fit within a safe harbor to the disguised sale rules.
- Represented a group of real estate developers in a joint venture with AEW for development of 184 apartment units on 5 acres in Somerville, Massachusetts.
- Represented a major REIT in two joint ventures with separate developers, one in northern California, one in Seattle.
- Planned a deferred like-kind exchange in which our client disposed of developed property in exchange for land where a “build to suit” development occurred during the 180 day like-kind deferral period.
- Created a fund organized as a limited partnership, with a private offering of $50 million of limited partner interests, to invest through a joint venture with a hotel operator in hotel acquisition opportunities.
- Represented a fund purchasing low-income housing tax credits in a rehabilitation project with four layers of debt, including tax-exempt bonds.
- Negotiated a series of transactions that separated the ownership and control of approximately 15 substantial operating real estate assets between our client and a close family member.
- Represented a retail real estate developer in joint venture with residential real estate developer for multi-phase mixed-use new construction project.
- Represented a retail real estate developer in joint venture with existing owner of 240,000 sq.ft. mall property to extend ground lease, re-tenant and re-develop without “phantom income” for existing owner.
- Represented a real estate developer in joint venture including a developer of adjacent parcels and two groups of existing property owners for mixed use new construction project in dense urban location.
- Admission of new partner to 5-star Mandarin Hotel and luxury residential and retail development in full redemption of one development partner and partial redemption of another, after separating out the residential condominium component of the project.
Professional and Community Involvement
- Task Force which drafted the Massachusetts LLC statute
- Board of Directors, Community Resources for Justice, Inc.
- Member of the Corporation, The Winsor School
- New England Women in Real Estate (NEWIRE)
- Boston Bar Association
Awards and Recognition
- Martindale Hubbell Peer-Review Rated AV Preeminent TM
Seminars & Events
|Panelist, "Understanding and Utilizing REITs and Real Estate Joint Venture Agreements", MCLE 2009|