Cornell University, College of Engineering, B.S., 1999
Northeastern University School of Law, J.D., 2007
Environmental law is the focus of Kate Velasquez-Heller's practice. Kate, an attorney and engineer, advises developers, owners, tenants, corporations and lenders on a wide range of environmental matters including those related to contaminated property, indoor environmental pollution, regulatory compliance and green building strategies. Chambers USA recognizes Kate, highlighting that she has "demonstrated a depth and breadth of knowledge and experience about environmental law that far exceeds her years of legal practice. She has an astute ability to bring a technological perspective to environmental issues.” Kate is an Associate with the firm.
Prior to joining the firm, she worked as a civil/environmental engineer, performing site remediation, construction and assessment services for private and public clients, including large corporations, major utility providers and the US Military. She also interned with the Office of Regional Counsel at the US Environmental Protection Agency. Kate is a Registered Professional Engineer in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts and a LEED Accredited Professional.
- Assistance to purchasers, prospective tenants, owners and operators of buildings throughout U.S. in connection with environmental due diligence activities, remediation programs and indoor environmental pollution issues (e.g., indoor air quality, lead paint and asbestos operations and maintenance programs).
- Advises clients in connection with regulatory compliance matters and associated enforcement actions.
- Ongoing environmental advice to major universities and hospitals in connection with site remediation, waste management, environmental compliance and green construction projects.
- Assistance to lenders in connection with pre-foreclosure due diligence activities and the financing of acquisitions involving contaminated properties.
- Support for corporate mergers and acquisitions with respect to environmental risk management.
- Advice to companies seeking to recover or alleged to be responsible for environmental cleanup costs.
- Assistance to large retail and residential real estate developers in connection with acquisition of and construction on brownfields, including coordinating remediation with development plans, working with state agencies for approvals and obtaining environmental insurance.
Professional and Community Involvement
- Pro Bono environmental work for non-profit organizations
- Young Leader, Urban Land Institute
- American Society of Civil Engineers
- Boston Bar Association
- Chi Epsilon Civil Engineering Honor Society
- Urban Land Institute
Awards and Recognition
- Chambers USA, “America’s Leading Business Lawyers," 2010-2013, 2016
- Massachusetts Super Lawyers, 2013 - 2015
- Massachusetts Super Lawyers Rising Stars, 2009 - 2012
- Banker & Tradesman's 2008 Class of New Leaders