Acquisition, disposition, financing, development, land use and the leasing of retail, office and mixed-use properties are at the core of Kristofer Machado’s practice. As an Associate in the firm’s Real Estate group, he represents developers, lenders, borrowers and guarantors in a variety of commercial real estate transactions, with a particular focus on providing strategic land use advice and securing zoning and other regulatory approvals for complex urban projects.
Kristofer obtained his J.D. from Yale Law School, where he served as Senior Editor of the Yale Journal on Regulation and as a Student Director in the Jerome N. Frank Legal Services Organization, the Law School’s clinical division. A Miami native, Kristofer is a member of the Florida Bar and is fluent in Spanish.
- Representation of a national retail and mixed-use developer in land use matters relating to the ongoing operation and redevelopment of numerous hotel, restaurant, marina and retail properties in Newburyport, MA and Nantucket, MA.
- Representation of regional multifamily developers in connection with the historic rehabilitation and adaptive re-use of former institutional buildings in Boston’s Beacon Hill and Jamaica Plain neighborhoods.
- Pro bono representation of a community development corporation in securing zoning, permitting, and other public approvals for a 23-unit affordable housing development in Boston’s Roxbury neighborhood.
- Representation of borrowers in connection with the refinancing of a multi-million-dollar portfolio of multifamily rental mortgages issued under MassHousing’s SHARP/RDAL initiative and insured by FHA/HUD.
- Representation of a major American real estate firm in securing public approvals and modifications to existing urban renewal and land disposition agreements for the renovation of an approximately 700,000-square-foot mixed-use building in Boston’s Government Center.
- Drafting and negotiation of zoning overlay articles for master-planned developments, complex easement and license agreements, and ancillary contracts with local governments, regulatory bodies and other stakeholders.
- Appearance before municipal zoning, planning and other regulatory boards throughout the Commonwealth, including the Boston Zoning Board of Appeal and the BRA/EDIC Board.
Professional and Community Involvement
- Member, Urban Land Institute
- Member, Boston Bar Association
- Member, Cuban-American Bar Association