Matthew R. Hillery concentrates his practice on estate planning for high net worth individuals and families, trust and estate administration, the formation and operation of nonprofit charitable organizations and issues relating to charitable giving. A Director in the firm's Private Client group, Matt advises individual clients on trusts and estates and tax planning matters both in the United States and abroad, including business owners, investors, professionals and trust beneficiaries, and also has represented large banks and trust companies serving as fiduciaries. He has formed a variety of charitable organizations, and has advised nonprofits on governance and fundraising issues. Matt also has experience with the preparation of charitable gift planning instruments for institutional and individual clients.
- Works with families to produce estate plans that optimize tax planning but also accomplish their non-tax goals, including asset preservation and family business succession.
- Prepares sophisticated giving strategies designed to leverage clients’ available credits and exemptions from federal estate, gift and generation-skipping transfer taxes, including grantor retained annuity trusts, qualified personal residence trusts, charitable lead trusts, and sales to intentionally defective grantor trusts.
- Advised international clients with U.S. ties and U.S. citizens living abroad on the application of U.S. income and wealth transfer taxes to them.
- Advised a national donor advised fund on all aspects of its operation and administration, including corporate governance and management, call center operation, gift processing and donation management, planned giving, customized grant making, marketing, and private label products.
- Formed nonprofit a public charity to support educational opportunities that could not otherwise be funded by the school budget.
- Represented clients in audits of gift tax returns by the Internal Revenue Service.
Professional and Community Involvement
- Member and Past Co-Chair of the Trust & Estate Section's Practice Fundamentals Committee and Public Policy Committee, Boston Bar Association
- Member, Planned Giving Group of New England
- Member, Boston Estate Planning Council
- Member, Trusts & Estates Consortium
- Member, Harvard Student Agencies Alumni Graduate Board
- Member, Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners (STEP)
Awards and Recognition
- Named "Massachusetts Rising Star" by the National Law Journal, 2014
Seminars & Events
|Presenter, "U.S. Tax and Estate Planning for Foreign Persons," Meritas|
|Speaker, "When Clients Retire Overseas: An Overview of Tax and Legal Considerations," BBA|
|Speaker, "Tax Planning for Individuals with Split-Interest Gifts," Planned Giving Group of New England|
|Speaker, "Estate Planning: Crunching the Numbers," Boston Bar Association|
|May 2014 & June 2013|
|Faculty, The Nonprofit Helpdesk’s Board Development and Governance Workshop, New York|