According to Chambers USA, “the ‘very entrepreneurial’ Richard Zielinski is held in high regard by sources. He has substantial expertise in bet-the-company litigation and is singled out by observers as an ‘aggressive litigator.’ Clients remark that ‘he is fantastic on his feet.’ He thinks seven steps ahead of everyone else."
Richard also has extensive trial experience in a wide range of business and real estate disputes, including cases involving the financing and construction of large office towers, breach of contract cases, partnership disputes, lender liability cases and cases under the Massachusetts Consumer Protection Act (Chapter 93A).
Richard also defends manufacturers in products liability, mass tort and class action cases. For two consecutive years Richard has been named the leading defense lawyer in Boston in these practice areas by Best Lawyers in America. Representative industries include pharmaceuticals, electrical products and tobacco. Richard is a Director with the firm.
- Successfully defeated class certification in a putative class action against a Massachusetts-based public company under the Telephone Consumer Protection Act, 47 U.S.C § 227
- Represented a group of world renowned physicians and scientists in various civil and criminal proceedings relating to the arthritis drug, Vioxx.
- Defense of a major, national law firm in a case arising out of a $330 million leveraged buyout of a manufacturing company which subsequently went bankrupt.
- Successful representation of the developers of the largest office complex in Boston in a $300+ million dispute with their lender.
- Defense of a major tobacco company in hundreds of products liability cases including individual and class actions, and the Medicaid reimbursement actions brought by various state attorneys general in the mid-1990s.
- Defense of a Birmingham, Alabama valve manufacturer in a $300+ million case arising out of a catastrophic explosion at a petrochemical processing plant located near Houston, Texas.
Professional and Community Involvement
- Boston Bar Association, Administration of Justice Section (Co-Chair 2001-2003)
- Boston Bar Association, Professional Liability Committee (Past Chair)
Awards and Recognition
- Martindale Hubbell Peer Review Rated AV Preeminent TM
- Named by U.S. News - Best Lawyers as 2013 MA "Lawyer of the Year" in Mass Tort Litigation/Class Actions-Defendants and one of “The Best Lawyers in America” in Commercial Litigation, Legal Malpractice and Personal Injury Litigation, 2006-2013
- Best Lawyers, Boston Product Liability Litigation-Defendants Lawyer of the Year, 2012 and 2014
- Chambers USA, “America’s Leading Business Lawyers," 2006-2014
- Fellow, American College of Trial Lawyers; Chair of Massachusetts State Committee, 2007-2009
- Standing Committee on the Teaching of Trial and Appellate Advocacy (past Chair)
- Massachusetts Super Lawyer, 2004 - 2013
- Top 100 in Massachusetts and New England, 2007-2010
- Top 10 in Massachusetts, 2010
- Panelist, 14th Annual New England Estate Planning Conference 2013, MCLE, January 2013
- Panelist, “Managing the Expert Witness-an Advanced Discussion,” National Legal Malpractice Conference, American Bar Association, April 2007
- Faculty Chair, "Malpractice Claims Against Lawyers," MCLE Seminar, July 2005