Trial and appellate work, both civil and criminal, is the exclusive focus of Dick Renehan's practice. He has represented many of the major law firms in New England and in other parts of the country, and has for twenty years been selected for inclusion in Best Lawyers in America for both business litigation and professional malpractice defense. Dick is recognized by Chambers USA as "a 'dean' of the Boston Bar. He's a fantastic trial lawyer with more experience and sense than anyone; one of the best lawyers to have practiced in Boston in the last 20 years." Chambers continues that Dick is "a veteran of the civil and criminal fields, and has deep experience in professional malpractice and business litigation."
Dick is a frequent lecturer for MCLE and the American Bar Association, and has put on model trials of a legal malpractice suit for the ABA and the Attorneys’ Liability Assurance Society. He has also argued over 50 cases before state and federal appellate courts, including several of the leading cases decided by the SJC involving zoning, employment discrimination, environmental law and legal malpractice.
- Defense of Edgartown’s three acre zoning (425 Mass. 117).
- Defense of a multi-million dollar malpractice claim (436 Mass. 244 and 417 Mass. 549).
- Defining limits of punitive damages against a law firm employer (424 Mass. 813).
- Representation of a private school in a Grand Jury investigation (437 Mass. 340).
- Adviser to the Supreme Judicial Court on First Amendment Rights of a sitting judge.
- Representation of developer of major downtown high-rise from challenge by a citizens’ group (396 Mass. 489).
- Application of the Doctrine of Judicial Estoppel in a legal malpractice case (443 Mass. 634).
Professional and Community Involvement
- Fellow, American College of Trial Lawyers
- Former President, Boston Bar Association (1985-1986)
- Member, Governor’s Judicial Nominating Commission (1987-1990)
- Member, Joint Bar Committee on Judicial Appointments (1979-1984)
Awards and Recognition
- "Boston Bet-The-Company Litigator of the Year," Best Lawyers 2011
- Martindale Hubbell Peer Review Rated AV Preeminent TM
- The International Who’s Who of Commercial Litigators, 2006
- Best Lawyers in America 1984-2017
- Best Lawyers in America, “Legal Malpractice Law - Defendants,” 2006- 2016
- Best Lawyers in America, “Bet The Company Litigation,” 2006- 2016
- Best Lawyers in America, “Litigation - Real Estate,” 2016
- Best Lawyers in America, “Legal Malpractice Law,” 2006-2012
- Recipient, Alumni Achievement Award, Boston College Alumni Association, 2005
- Chambers USA, "America's Leading Business Lawyers", 2003-2014
- Massachusetts Super Lawyers, 2004 - 2015 (Ranked Number 1 in the State in 2006)