University of Maryland School of Law, J.D., 2008, cum laude
University of Pennsylvania, B.A., 2004, cum laude
Real estate, construction, and commercial lending are the focus of Sebastian Kurian’s practice. Sebastian represents borrowers and lenders in commercial finance transactions, primarily real estate secured loans and bond financings, and developers, companies, and individuals in real estate acquisitions, dispositions, and leases. He also has significant experience negotiating construction agreements. Sebastian, an Associate in the firm's Real Estate group, was most recently the Assistant General Counsel at Clark Construction Group, LLC in Bethesda, Maryland.
- Represented national and regional lenders, real estate developers, and companies in all aspects of commercial loan transactions and real estate acquisition and disposition deals including structuring transactions, drafting, review, and negotiation of documents, title review, research, and due diligence.
- Negotiated hundreds of millions of dollars worth of private and public construction contracts on behalf of Washington, D.C.’s largest general contractor and its subsidiaries. Representative projects included hospitals, luxury apartments and condominiums, Class A office buildings, GSA build to suits, garages, foreign embassies, sports and entertainment venues, and transportation.
- Primary attorney responsible for the documentation and closings of Bank of America’s custom home mortgage loan program for high net worth borrowers in Maryland, D.C. and Virginia.
- Reviewed, analyzed and negotiated commercial leases on behalf of tenants, including a large national retailer, and drafted subleases on behalf of Bank of America, as landlord.
- Conducted due diligence and drafting of finance documents relating to a Fortune 500 company's purchase of a publically traded corporation's debt.
Professional and Community Involvement
- Urban Land Institute, Young Leaders Group
- University of Maryland Francis King Carey School of Law Alumni Board
- University of Pennsylvania Mid-Atlantic Regional Advisory Board
- University of Pennsylvania Secondary School Committee
- Calvert Hall College High School Alumni Association