Commercial real estate transactions are the focus of Sheldon Weisel's broad real estate practice. Sheldon has extensive experience with a wide range of issues, including leases of all types, the acquisition and disposition of commercial properties, loans and financings, ground leases, joint ventures, partnerships, limited liability companies, the formation and operation of REITs, real estate securitizations, management and brokerage agreements, landlord-tenant litigation, loan workouts, foreclosures, and bankruptcy proceedings and issues.
Recognized in Chambers USA, Sheldon is a "superbly well regarded transactional lawyer who has always been a respected name in the city, and is a go-to guy for real estate structuring." Sources continue, "he is exceptionally knowldegable about the market options and creative strategies." Sheldon is a Director in the firm's Real Estate Group and is resident in the Washington, D.C. office.
Sheldon regularly represents owners and developers of all types of commercial real estate, as well as banks, lenders, insurance companies, contractors, real estate managers and brokers, corporate tenants and non-real estate companies with substantial real estate assets.
- Representation of a major hotel owner and operator based in Maryland in numerous financings, acquisitions and other transactions.
- Representation of Time, Inc. in its leasing in Washington, D.C.
- Representation of Boston Properties in a $500 million development of prime urban Washington, D.C. property under a long-term ground lease from George Washington University for a major mixed-use complex including an office building, a luxury apartment building and retail stores.
- Representation of a developer in the renovation of the historic Howard Theatre in Washington, D.C., including a long-term lease with the D.C. Government.
- Representation of a major regional bank in Maryland in a long-term ground lease transaction covering a parcel of property upon which it constructed its headquarters building.
Professional and Community Involvement
- National Association of Real Estate Investment Trusts
- Urban Land Institute
- American Bar Association
Awards and Recognition
- Chambers USA, America's Leading Business Lawyers, 2003-2013
- "Stars of the Bar," Biennial List of Washington's Best Lawyers, The Washingtonian, 2007, 2011, 2013
- Selected as a Leasing Real Estate Lawyer, Washington Legal Times, 2008
- District of Columbia Super Lawyer, Real Estate, 2007-2013
- Best Lawyers in America - Real Estate Law; 20 years
- Senior Editor, UCLA Law Review
- Elected Member, Order of the Coif
- Martindale Hubbell Peer-Review Rated AV Preeminent TM