Georgetown University Law Center, LL.M., 1998, with Distinction, in taxation
Washington University School of Law, J.D., 1994, Order of the Coif
University of Missouri-Columbia, B.S., 1991, summa cum laude
Tax counsel for many national companies including real estate and private equity funds, REITs, corporations, and trade associations are what Steve Schneider is known for. Steve is an author, commentator, and lecturer on tax topics at prominent national venues and has been an adjunct professor at Georgetown University Law Center since 2005, teaching an advanced tax course on drafting partnership and LLC agreements. He has significant experience in a wide variety of domestic and international transactions with particular experience in the taxation of pass-through entities such as partnerships, S corporations and REITs. His work crosses several industries including real estate, technology, energy, legal, and the financial sector. Steve also brings significant knowledge through his prior experience in the IRS National Office and in the national office of a Big-Four accounting firm. Steve is a Co-Chair of the firm's International Investors Group.
Steve authors a blog covering tax-related topics called TaxLawRoundup. In the blog, he provides succinct and timely summaries of important US tax guidance affecting your business.
- Representation of large global real estate funds on federal income tax matters relating to international and domestic real estate acquisitions and dispositions.
- Significant subject matter expertise and experience including partnerships, S corporations, REITs, equity-based compensation, TEFRA partnership audits and tax shelter rules.
- Successful representation of clients in significant federal tax controversy matters, including IRS Audit and Appeals.
- Representation of large multi-family real estate clients on tax structuring and documentation.
- Due diligence experience in partnership and corporate acquisitions involving dollar values ranging from multi-million to multi-billion.
Professional and Community Involvement
- American Bar Association (Tax Section), Past Chair, Partnerships and LLCs
Awards and Recognition
- Named one of “The Best Lawyers in America”
Publications & Mentions
|Partnership and LLC Agreements: Learning to Read and Write Again, Practicing Law Institute, Tax Planning for Domestic and Foreign Partnerships, LLCs, Joint Ventures and Other Strategic Alliances|
|Capital Account Based Liquidations: Gone With the Wind or Here to Stay?, Practicing Law Institute, Tax Planning for Domestic and Foreign Partnerships, LLCs, Joint Ventures and Other Strategic Alliances|
|LLC Capital Shifts: Avoiding Problems When Applying Corporate Principles, Practicing Law Institute, Tax Planning for Domestic and Foreign Partnerships, LLCs, Joint Ventures and Other Strategic Alliances|
|"New Draft Instructions Provide Insight into NII Tax Reporting," Tax Analysts|
|"Examination of Business Activity Grouping Key for 2014 Net Investment Tax Planning," Bloomberg BNA Daily Tax Report|