Steven Schneider is a nationally recognized tax partner with broad-based transactional and controversy experience and particular expertise in partnerships, REITs, S corporations, real estate, private equity and inbound foreign investment. After starting his career as an attorney in the IRS National Office, Steve has had many years of national-level transactional, controversy and legislative law and Big-4 accounting firm experience. Steve has served key leadership roles, including as chair of the 700-member ABA Partnership Tax Committee, co-chair of the Goulston & Storrs International Investors group and founder of the firm's TaxLawRoundup blog. He has been an adjunct professor at Georgetown University Law Center since 2005, teaching an advanced tax course on drafting partnership and LLC agreements.
Steve has authored and co-author of tax publications including contributions to the following journals: Taxes, The Tax Magazine, Tax Notes, Practicing Law Institute, Bloomberg BNA: Tax Management Real Estate Journal, Bloomberg BNA: Tax Management Memorandum, Bloomberg BNA: Mergers & Acquisitions Law Report, WG&L – Business Entities, WG&L – Journal of Taxation, CCH – Passthrough Entities, AFIRE News, Washington Business Journal, NYU Annual Institute on Federal Taxation, and University of Southern California – Institute on Federal Taxation.
Steve is a regular presenter at national venues including the following: University of Chicago Tax Conference, ABA Tax Section (various committees), ABA Business Law Section, Practicing Law Institute, New York University (various), National Association of REITs, AICPA Real Estate Conference, Real Estate Roundtable, International Council of Shopping Centers, DC Bar, Texas Federal Tax Institute, William and Mary Annual Tax Conference, American Bankruptcy Institute, Tax Executives Institute, Maryland Advanced Tax Institute, Federal Bar Association, Committee of Banking Institutions on Taxation, American Petroleum Institute, Bloomberg BNA, Strafford webinars, Real Estate Finance Association, and IIR Venture Capital and Private Equity Tax Practices.
Steve is frequently quoted on pass-through entity taxation matters in the press including the following publications: The New York Times, The New York Times Blog, Bloomberg Business, BNA Daily Tax Report, Tax Notes Today, Hedge Fund Alert and Law360.
- Representation of large global real estate funds on federal income tax matters relating to international and domestic real estate acquisitions and dispositions.
- Significant subject matter expertise and experience including partnerships, S corporations, REITs, equity-based compensation, TEFRA partnership audits and tax shelter rules.
- Successful representation of clients in significant federal tax controversy matters, including IRS Audit and Appeals.
- Representation of large multi-family real estate clients on tax structuring and documentation.
- Due diligence experience in partnership and corporate acquisitions involving dollar values ranging from multi-million to multi-billion.