Steven Schwartz is co-chair of the firm’s Real Estate practice group. With more than 25 years of continuous practice at Goulston & Storrs, Steve has a national real estate practice in which he counsels clients in the acquisition, development, sale, leasing and financing (both debt and equity) of commercial real estate.
Steve provides counsel to national developers and investors in the multifamily housing area in a wide variety of matters, including acquisitions, dispositions, development and finance, including large portfolio transactions, joint ventures and construction and permanent mortgage loans. He also regularly advises clients on structuring complex mixed use transactions throughout the country. Steve provides counsel with respect to large-scale commercial projects throughout the New England region and satisfying the many land use and environmental laws and regulations that such developments face. A significant portion of Steve's current development practice involves working with clients on complex multifamily residential projects, including both market rate and mixed-income developments, large mixed-use projects and projects constructed under the Massachusetts affordable housing statute, Chapter 40B. In addition to his involvement with traditional forms of real estate mortgage loans and refinancings, Steve has considerable experience in representing lenders in workouts of troubled real estate loans, including restructurings, deed-in-lieu transactions and foreclosures.
In addition to his role as Co-Chair of the firm’s Real Estate practice group, Steve is a member of the firm’s Executive Committee.
- General representation of one of the largest multifamily REITs in the country in all aspects of acquisition, development and financing of numerous multifamily residential communities, including both stand alone and parts of large mixed use developments.
- Representation of real estate fund in its acquisition of more than 75 multifamily, industrial and office properties nationally, totaling more than $1.5 billion.
- Representation of the greater Boston region’s leading furniture retailer on all of its real estate related matters, including acquisition and development of destination furniture and family entertainment location, and 1,000,000 square foot warehouse and distribution facility.
- Numerous mortgage loans for national insurance, including financings of significant hotel, office, retail and multifamily properties throughout the New England region.
Professional and Community Involvement
- Advisory Committee Member, National Multifamily Housing Council
- Member, Government Affairs Committee and Director, Rental Housing Association of the Greater Boston Real Estate Board
Awards and Recognition
- Martindale Hubbell Peer Review Rated AV Preeminent TM
- Martindale HubbellTM Top Rated Lawyer in 'Land Use And Zoning', 2013
- Massachusetts Super Lawyer, 2006 - 2013