The Goulston & Storrs China group has extensive and wide-ranging experience in China, working with companies in the Internet, online games, technology, finance, life sciences, real estate, hospitality and retail industries. We represent PRC companies that are publicly traded on the US securities markets, or that are privately held and have US investors or strategic partners. We also represent US companies looking to China for investment and to access labor, supply or consumer markets. We are often acknowledged as having one of the strongest China practices among New England law firms, based on the depth and diversity of our client base, our knowledge of Chinese business practices and culture, and our legal and business network. In multi-jurisdictional transactions, we work closely with local Chinese counsel, along with counsel in the Cayman Islands and other similar jurisdictions, to provide clients with a seamless integration of legal systems and local practices. Several of our attorneys are native Mandarin speakers. The attorneys in our China practice assist clients in many areas, including:
- Venture capital and private equity investments
- US securities law compliance
- Mergers & acquisitions
- Joint ventures & strategic partnerships
- Licensing agreements
- Intellectual property
- Technology transfers
- Tax structuring
- Changyou.com Limited
- eLong, Inc.
- Sogou Inc.
- Sohu.com Inc.
- SoEasy Internet Finance Group Limited
- Hearts on Fire
Representative Projects and Transactions
- Representation of Hearts on Fire, a Hong-Kong-based diamond and jewelry dealer with more than 2,200 points of sales in nearly 500 cities across mainland China and other Asian markets, with its sale to Chow Tai Fook.
- Representation of Sohu.com Inc., a leading Chinese online media, search, game, community and mobile service group, as general corporate, securities and M&A counsel.
- Issuer’s counsel in the IPO on NASDAQ of ChangYou.com Limited, a leading online game developer and operator in China; continue to represent the company as U.S. general corporate and securities counsel.
- Representation of eLong, Inc., a leading mobile and online travel service provider in China, as general corporate, securities and M&A counsel.
- Representation of Sohu.com Inc. and its search subsidiary Sogou Inc. in a $450 million investment in Sogou by Tencent Holdings Limited and a strategic cooperation agreement between Sogou and Tencent.
- Representation of SoEasy Internet Finance Group Limited, the developer and operator of an Internet-based platform for peer-to-peer lending in China.
- Representation of U.S.-based venture investors in their direct investments in China-based companies.
- Representation of an interactive, Web-based English language instruction company targeting the Chinese market.
- Representation of various U.S. businesses in connection with their operational expansion into China.
- Representation of U.S. companies involved in IP issues and disputes in China.
- Representation of clients in the recreation and hospitality industries looking to expand and manage projects within China.
- Representation of Chinese client in establishment of U.S. operations.