|We counsel hospitals, clinics, nursing homes, insurers, HMO’s, physicians, dentists and other healthcare professionals with matters such as strategic affiliations, mergers & acquisitions, professional credentialing and licensing, governmental audits and investigations, fraud and abuse matters, negotiation of employment and research agreements, joint ventures, resolution of litigation and informal disputes, non-compete and other practice equity protection arrangements and strategic advice in connection with business ventures. |
Representative Projects and Transactions
- Advised academic physician in connection with consulting to start-up company and disposition of equity interests to charitable organization.
- Formation of group practices and managed care organizations for general practitioners and specialists of many types, including partnership, shareholder and other business arrangements.
- Represented the physicians at a major Boston teaching hospital in connection with the proposed acquisition of the hospital.
- Represented one of the largest HMOs in New England in its acquisition of another HMO.
- Established the only provider-owned professional malpractice insurance company in New England.
- Represented healthcare professionals in conducting internal investigations involving misappropriation of funds and disclosure to appropriate governmental authorities.
- Represented healthcare professionals in response to government audits relating to issues of medical necessity.
- Prepared a member guide on fraud and abuse prevention for a major state-wide professional organization.
- Obtained an advisory ruling from the Office of the Inspector General regarding the applicability of the Anti-Kickback laws.
- General counsel to a number of trade associations in the healthcare industry.