Innovation Development & Licensing
Goulston & Storrs’ interdisciplinary team counsels non-profit and for-profit clients throughout the cycle of innovation and commercialization. We help our clients navigate intellectual property affecting their operations, including copyright, patents, trade secrets and know-how. We advise both non-profit academic and research institutions, and for-profit ventures across all aspects of technology development and innovation, including in the fields of biotechnology, life sciences, pharmaceuticals, medical devices, privacy & security, hardware, software and multi-media. We regularly craft and negotiate successful relationships for research, development, technology transfer, joint ventures, licensing, finance, manufacturing, OEM, VAR and more.
Our extensive experience also includes:
- Bio-tech and hi-tech facilities development
- Cross-border collaborations
- Dispute resolution
- Ethics and conflicts of interest
- Institutional consulting
- Incubation of new technologies
- Intellectual property strategies
- Joint ventures and consortia
- Mergers and acquisitions
- Regulatory compliance, including export controls, FDA, HIPAA, Anti-Kickback and Stark laws
- Reimbursement matters
- Sponsored research (corporate, foundation and governmental)
- Tax-exempt structuring and compliance
Representative Projects and Transactions
- A joint venture in genetics and genomics among two academic medical centers and a major medical school, including creation of more than $20 million in corporate collaboration arrangements, corporate-sponsored research, licensing and service agreements, government and foundation research programs and HIPAA, Anti-Kickback and other regulatory compliance.
- $280 million monetization of royalty stream from patented pharmaceutical product on behalf of an academic medical center.
- Formation and expansion of an innovative model for corporate-sponsored, independent, multi-media, curriculum-based continuing medical education in psychiatry and other specialties.
- Creation of a suite of license, OEM, VAR, and development agreements for multi-national telecommunications technology company.
- General counsel to a consortium focused on innovative medical technologies, formed on behalf of academic medical centers and prominent universities, including the expansion of the consortium into the United Kingdom.
- Technology transfer, sponsored research agreements, equity investment transactions, and analysis of a variety of non-profit issues, for a major chain of non-profit teaching and research hospitals.
- In-licensing and out-licensing of small molecule and anti-body technologies, double-transgenic mice and blood-brain barrier databases for an early stage biopharmaceutical company.
- Retained advisors to universities in the formation, operation and expansion of technology transfer offices.