IP Litigation & Arbitration
|Businesses that claim rights in intellectual property frequently become involved in conflicts with others in the marketplace. At times, such businesses may need to enforce their rights against other parties. In other situations, such businesses may need to defend themselves against claims asserted by other parties. Much of our dispute resolution practice involves resolution of claims at the pre-litigation stage. When necessary, however, we aggressively assert and defend our clients’ rights in their valuable intellectual property assets, and we are comfortable appearing before courts, mediators, arbitration panels and administrative agencies.|
Representative Projects and Transactions
- Counsel representing Scottish developer of three-dimensional animation “virtual colonoscopy” medical imaging software in patent infringement action in U.S. District Court for the District of North Carolina.
- Counsel for software developer accused of infringing a patent claimed to cover JPEG image technologies.
- Represented art investment company in trademark dispute with another investment advisory company.
- Counsel to pharmaceutical companies in patent infringement actions against generic drug manufacturers.
- Served as special U.S. counsel in analyzing and briefing U.S. copyright law and choice of law issues for defense of copyright infringement litigation brought in Germany against the seller of famous furniture reproductions.
- Represented Grammy-award winning musician and major label recording company in litigation protecting copyright and publicity rights.
- Counsel for internationally known rock band securing national TRO enjoining the sale at every American tour performance of counterfeit t-shirts infringing the client’s trademarks.
- Counsel to television production company in trademark and copyright lawsuits to protect rights in its cable television and home video products.
- Counsel to retailer defending trademark and trade dress infringement allegations involving health and beauty products.
- Represented bank in a trademark dispute in which a competing bank attempted to tie up new trade name being rolled out by the client.