|Patents and trade secrets are the cornerstones of numerous technology companies and other businesses. In some cases, cutting edge ideas can best be protected by securing patent protection for the statutory period, thereby blocking others from competing with the patent owner during a critical phase in the owner’s business or enabling the owner to generate license revenue from the protected ideas. In other cases, it behooves the innovator to preserve the secrecy of the know-how and other ideas that give the inventor’s business a competitive advantage in the marketplace. Our lawyers specialize in helping clients to preserve and exploit their patents and trade secrets and in helping to resolve the disputes that inevitably arise in the arena of valuable ideas.|
Representative Projects and Transactions
- Counsel for computer chip manufacturer and for modem manufacturer in defense of multi-million dollar patent infringement action.
- Counsel representing Scottish developer of three-dimensional animation “virtual colonoscopy” medical imaging software in patent infringement action in U.S. District Court for the District of North Carolina.
- Represented manufacturer/patent owner in lawsuit to enforce its rights under patent claiming a system and method for a compact cogeneration system having a catalytic converter integral with an exhaust gas heat exchanger.
- Development of a trade secret protection program for the protection of intellectual property of a telecommunications company.
- Development of non-disclosure agreements, source code control procedures, and other trade secret protection mechanisms for a retailer engaged in in-house software development.
- Represented industry leader in continuous electro deionization water purification techniques as plaintiff in patent infringement action.
- Advised bio-informatics company in various patent assignment and license transactions.
- Represented multinational developer of digital lighting technology in licensing a series of US and foreign fundamental patents for a digital gobo from several licensors.