With decades of notable real estate experience, the Goulston & Storrs Tax Abatement group works with clients on a broad range of issues relating to municipal property taxes. We provide sophisticated, knowledgeable and sound advice to clients concerning property taxes, which are usually the largest single operating expense of a property.
While much of our work focuses on evaluating municipal real estate tax bills and then, if warranted, pursuing abatement applications both at the local level and any subsequent appeals to the Commonwealth of Massachusetts Appellate Tax Board (“ATB”), we also advise clients on related matters such as new construction property tax analysis, property tax charitable exemption issues and Tax Increment Financing Agreements.
Clients often ask us to review their tax bills and advise them as to whether an abatement application is potentially worthwhile. We objectively assess their tax bills to determine if an abatement application is called for and also assist them with the preparation of an abatement application and its subsequent prosecution.
Representative Projects and Transactions
- Representation of shopping centers, including regional malls, in property tax appeals.
- Representation of urban and suburban office property owners in property tax appeals.
- Representation of multi-family housing owners in property tax appeals.
- Representation of charitable organizations regarding exemption qualification issues and municipal filing requirements.
- Representation of developers and owners with regard to property tax estimates of prospective and existing projects.
- Representation of owners with regard to the negotiation of TIF (Tax Increment Financing) and PILOT (payment in lieu of taxes) agreements.
- Assist clients with the preparation of annual income and expense forms (38D Requests) submitted by municipalities.
- Provide general advice regarding various aspects of the real estate property tax assessment process in Massachusetts.