The Goulston & Storrs Office group brings an unparalleled depth and breadth of experience to clients developing, purchasing, selling, leasing and operating office properties throughout the country. With comprehensive market knowledge and a wide range of expertise in all facets of real estate transactions, the group provides its clients-- domestic and international real estate investors, owners, developers, lenders, hospitals, universities, non-profit institutions and large corporations—with legal services that are as practical as they are sophisticated. We add value to all of the projects we work on, whether a straightforward stand-alone building, a complex multi-property transaction, or an intricate mixed-use development.
Goulston & Storrs has the unique ability to provide the full spectrum of legal services while maintaining an individualized and responsive connection with our clients. We place special emphasis on developing a long-term partnership with each client and deliver expansive services related to acquisitions and dispositions, development and permitting, environmental and green business, joint ventures and tax planning, financing, construction and leasing.
For further information about the firm’s Office group, please contact the group co-chairs, Michael Moran and Jared Tardy. To view a map of our representative Boston Office Landlord Projects, click here.
Office Representative Clients
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- Metropolitan Life Insurance Company
- Normandy Real Estate Partners
- Children's Hospital Boston
- Northland Investment Corporation
- Partners Healthcare System
- CrossHarbor Capital Partners
- Pembroke Properties (Fidelity Investments)
- Shire Human Genetic Therapies, Inc.
- John Hancock Life & Health Insurance Company
- Liberty Mutual Insurance Company
- Tishman Speyer Properties
Representative Projects and Transactions
Acquisitions and Dispositions
- Represented Beacon Capital Partners in the sale of its trophy asset Market Square, 701 and 801 Pennsylvania Avenue, Washington, DC.
- Representation of Boston Properties in the acquisition and ground lease, with George Washington University, of Square 54, 2200 Pennsylvania Avenue, Washington, DC and Atlantic Wharf (f/k/a Russia Wharf), Boston, MA.
- Representation of Beacon Capital Partners, a private investment fund, in its acquisitions and dispositions of office properties valued at over $1B, including the acquisition of a portion of the EOP portfolio, in major markets throughout the United States including Boston, DC, San Francisco, Chicago, and Los Angeles. Transactions include joint ventures and highly structured ownership arrangements.
- Representation of Allianz in a $110M joint venture investment with respect to a prominent New York office building.
- Representation of an academic institution in the $500M sale of a 1.2M square foot laboratory and office campus in the Greater Boston Metropolitan Area.
Development and Permitting
- Representation of Shire Human Genetic Therapies, Inc. in connection with the development and acquisition of the 95 acre Lexington Technology Park in Lexington, Massachusetts, including negotiation of two space leases, two reverse build-to-suit leases for new facilities, an option agreement giving Shire control of the site and rights of first offer to lease or purchase, the acquisition of a parcel in the park on which Shire constructed a new biotech manufacturing facility, and all related architectural services and construction contracts for the design and construction of such facilities. Also provided necessary environmental due diligence work related to this project.
- Representation of Liberty Mutual Group, a Fortune 100 company, in connection with the acquisition, permitting and development of three properties in order to construct a 22-story, 600,000 sq. ft. headquarters office tower in th Back Bay of Boston.
- Represented Children’s Hospital Boston in developing a major research building in the Longwood Medical Area, major expansions to the Hospital’s existing clinical facilities, suburban campuses in Waltham and Peabody, a 252,000 square foot office and medical building in a suburb of Boston and the acquisition of development rights for life science centers.
- Representation of the joint venture between Morgan Stanley Real Estate and Gale International in connection with the acquisition, permitting and development of a 23-acre parcel for the construction of 6M sq. ft. of mixed-use space in South Boston.
- Represented Partners Healthcare System, Inc. and the Massachusetts General Hospital with the redevelopment of the Charles Street Jail site into the Yawkey Center and B3-C facilities, creating 500,000 square feet of ambulatory care facilities.
Environmental and Green
- Representation of a private “green” developer in the redevelopment of a vacant mill into a mixed-use condominium that included office components.
- Representation of Boston Properties in acquiring, permitting, developing, leasing and constructing a LEED Gold certified mixed use project including approximately 400,000 square feet of office space at Atlantic Wharf, Boston.
- Counsel to H20 Applied Technologies, provider of energy and utility conservation installations and services to hospitals, office buildings and other significant energy users
- Representation of a private investment fund in negotiating an energy services agreement for the installation and operation of a 400 kilowatt fuel cell to provide alternative generation of electric power and heat for the Fox News Building in New York City.
- Representation of Bank of America in the syndicated $247M senior and mezzanine financing for the acquisition of 10 office parks located throughout the Southeastern United States.
- Representation of Eurohypo in connection with a $82M of acquisition financing (senior and mezzanine) with respect to an industrial portfolio in Memphis, Tennessee.
- Representation of a real estate investment trust in connection with the refinancing of two office buildings in New York City.
- Representation of Beacon Capital Partners in connection with the restructuring of four loans with related lenders, including new equity, on properties located in NY and CA.
- Representation of Massachusetts Institute of Technology in connection with its acquisition, ground leasing, sale-leasebacks and general leasing matters with regard to several properties in Cambridge.
- Representation of Blackstone in leasing Boston and Washington, DC assets of Equity Office Properties, including the continuing leasing of certain properties of this entity since the acquisition by Blackstone.
- Representation of Boston Properties in leasing of multiple properties, including Atlantic Wharf, formerly Russia Wharf, in Boston, MA; the headquarters of the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency in Southwest Washington, DC; and office space to Biogen Idec at Weston Corporate Center, Weston, Ma.
- Representation of Broadway Partners and Beacon Capital Partners and in the leasing of Boston’s John Hancock Tower.
- Defeated a challenge to the development of a large mixed-use retail/office project in air rights over the Mass Turnpike, upheld on appeal in Flaherty v. Massachusetts Turnpike Authority, et al., 63 Mass. App. Ct. 1118 (2005).
- Successfully represented the developer of the largest office complex in Boston in a $300+ M dispute with its lender.
- Successfully defended national real estate fund and its local partner in action by national record store retailer that included the conversion of mixed use building to a commercial condominium did not violate retailer's prior lease.
- Represented large commercial and office building property owners in abatement tax abatement proceedings resulting in substantial tax abatements.