Intellectual property advice, commercial agreements, and technology transfer and licensing matters are the focus of Andy Ferren’s practice. Andy handles a wide range of business matters for established and emerging companies, non-profit organizations, closely-held businesses, and individual entrepreneurs. Additionally, he helps to coordinate the firm’s trademark and copyright practices. Andy is a Director with the firm and sits on the editorial board of the firm's retail blog, Retail Law Advisor.
- Advise health care non-profit organization with regard to collection and management of data, copyrightable works, and other content associated with conferences, seminars, and an on-line knowledge center.
- Represent asset manager of portfolio of first class U.S. hotels and resorts in connection with intellectual property protection and licensing matters.
- Represent retailer of clothing and accessories in connection with brand protection and licensing program.
- Advise software vendors and purchasers with regard to license agreements, services agreements, ASP/SaaS agreements, and website development and hosting agreements.
- Represented furniture retailer in connection with source code license from its long-time software vendor.
- Represent a major group of non-profit teaching and research hospitals in technology license agreements, collaboration agreements and sponsored research agreements.
- Represented manufacturer of microwave oven technology in collaboration with clean coal technology company to design, develop, manufacture, and license coal treatment systems.
- Represented heirs to famous author/illustrator in settlement of dispute over rights to copyrights in decedent’s works.
- Developed and implemented an international trademark and business model licensing strategy for a New York-based non-profit organization engaged in promoting entrepreneurship through affiliates in Africa, the Middle East, and Central and South America.
- General counsel to a California-based non-profit organization in connection with business contracts and other matters, including licensing of its certification mark to distributors and retailers of “fair trade” coffee, cocoa, tea and other products.
- Handled numerous trademark and domain name matters, including prosecution of applications to register marks in the United States, coordination of international trademark protection efforts, management of clients’ trademark portfolios, negotiation of assignments and licenses of marks and domain names, and counseling of clients with regard to trademark and domain name selection, registration, and disputes.
Professional and Community Involvement
- Advisory Council Member, Fair Trade USA, 2004-present
- Finance Commission Member, Town of Westwood, 2004-2008
- American Bar Association
- Boston Bar Association
- International Trademark Association
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
Awards and Recognition
- Martindale Hubbell Peer Review Rated AV Preeminent TM
- 2009, Workshop leader, "Intellectual Property & Law," StartingBloc Institute
- 2005, Moderator, Panel Discussion, "Intellectual Property in the Global Business: What an Entrepreneur Needs to Know," TiECON East Conference