Corporate matters related to business and securities laws, mergers and acquisitions, corporate finance, emerging companies, venture capital and private equity are all part of David Coombs’ broad practice. A Director with the firm, David is an active member of the firm's interdisciplinary Real Estate Funds group, and he is Co-Chair of the firm’s Real Estate Capital Markets/Equity group.
David represents funds and investors relating to fund formation, capital raising and operations. He advises clients in connection with the creation of appropriate fund structures and the placement of fund interests, the general structure and operation of funds, and compliance with associated regulatory requirements.
Leveraging his business experience as a technology product development manager prior to attending law school, David also serves as general outside counsel to technology, life sciences, retail, non-profit and other organizations, including with respect to finance, corporate governance, strategic matters, licensing and other matters.
- Representation of experienced real estate investment advisory team in organization of new advisory firm and negotiation of anchor account with large institutional investor.
- Representation of Elco Landmark in its $538 million restructuring of Apartment Trust of America, Inc., a public non-traded REIT owning multi-family properties.
- Representation of Oxfam America in connection with the activities of its shareholder activist fund, including submission and presentation of shareholder proposals and related proxy campaigns.
- Representation of Sohu.com Inc. in connection with the sale of the game information portal 17173.com to Sohu’s majority-owned subsidiary Changyou.com Limited.
- Representation of Allianz Real Estate on its $200+ million strategic real estate investment with Archstone and CPP Investment Board.
- Representation of Easterly Capital on its acquisition of a private real estate fund from prior fund sponsor, and the continued marketing and operation of fund.
- Representation of Retail Convergence, including RueLaLa and SmartBargains.com, on its acquisition by GSI Commerce. Assisted selling shareholders in connection with subsequent underwritten public offering of stock consideration.
- Representation of CrossHarbor Capital Partners LLC on the completion of its landmark acquisition of the equity interests in the reorganized Yellowstone Club, including the structuring and offering of the related equity financing.
- General outside counsel to technology, life sciences, retail, non-profit and other companies in connection with financing, corporate governance, strategic matters, licensing and other commercial arrangements, human resources and day to day operational issues.
- Assisted a private equity firm with its formation of and investment in, and the acquisition of technology assets by, a developer of mobile broadband IP network solutions, including equity and debt financings, equity incentive plan matters and other significant corporate matters.
- Assisted a mature, privately-held provider of IT products and services solutions to the health care industry in connection with a dividend recapitalization involving its first venture financing and a new senior credit facility.
- Assisted a leading public business to business media company in its auction process and sale to a strategic acquirer owned by a consortium of private equity firms.
- Assisted a leading civil engineering site solutions products and services company, and its private equity firm sponsor, in its sale to a leading private equity firm.
- Provided corporate and securities advice to a committee of large shareholders of a public life sciences company in its Chapter 11 case, including advice on applicable state corporate laws, federal securities laws and other corporate matters.
- Assisted issuers, underwriters and institutional investors with initial and follow-on public securities offerings.
Professional and Community Involvement
- General Counsel and Board of Directors, MIT Enterprise Forum, 2004-2011