The Goulston & Storrs China group has extensive and wide-ranging experience in China, working with companies in the Internet, online games, technology, finance, life sciences, real estate, hospitality and retail industries. For more than 14 years, we have been representing PRC companies that are publicly traded on the US securities markets, or that are privately held and have US investors or strategic partners. We also represent US companies looking to China for investment and to access labor, supply or consumer markets. We are often acknowledged as having one of the strongest China practices among New England law firms, based on the depth and diversity of our client base, our knowledge of Chinese business practices and culture, and our legal and business network. In multi-jurisdictional transactions, we work closely with local Chinese counsel, along with counsel in the Cayman Islands and other similar jurisdictions, to provide clients with a seamless integration of legal systems and local practices. Three of our attorneys are native Mandarin speakers. The attorneys in our China practice assist clients in many areas, including:
- Venture capital and private equity investments
- US securities law compliance
- Mergers & acquisitions
- Joint ventures & strategic partnerships
- Licensing agreements
- Intellectual property
- Technology transfers
- Tax structuring
- China Risk Finance
- eLong, Inc.
- Sohu.com Inc.
Representative Projects and Transactions
- Representation of Sohu.com Inc. in connection with the sale of the game information portal 17173.com to Sohu’s majority-owned subsidiary Changyou.com Limited.
- Representation of Sohu.com Inc., a leading Chinese online media, communications, commerce and mobile value-added services company, as general corporate, securities and M&A counsel, including multiple acquisitions within China.
- Issuer’s counsel in the IPO on NASDAQ of ChangYou.com Limited, a leading online game developer and operator in China; continue to represent the company as U.S. general corporate and securities counsel.
- Representation of eLong, Inc., a leading Beijing-based online travel company, as general corporate, securities and M&A counsel, including in connection with its equity investment from Expedia and its numerous acquisitions within China.
- Representation of China Risk Finance in the funding and expansion of its operations in China.
- Representation of Sohu.com Inc. and its search subsidiary Sogou in a preferred stock investment in Sogou by Alibaba Group.
- Representation of a PRC-based pre-paid card distribution company.
- Representation of US-based venture investors in their direct investments in China-based companies.