Emerging Technologies & Venture Capital
The Goulston & Storrs Emerging Technologies & Venture Capital Group counsels entrepreneurs and venture capital firms on the legal, business and financial needs related to forming and growing early stage, innovative businesses. We assist US and non-US based firms investing funds locally and abroad including Europe, China, India and Israel. Our clients operate throughout the Northeast and beyond. Their businesses span many industries including high technology, software, communications, semiconductor, Internet, retail and consumer, medical devices and biotechnology.
We support emerging technology companies through a streamlined approach to developing businesses. Attorneys selectively draw upon unique experiences from throughout the firm in areas such as commercial finance, corporate, cross-border, employment & labor, innovation development & licensing, intellectual property, mergers & acquisitions, real estate, retail, securities and tax. Among the areas in which we assist our clients, services include:
- Entity formation and initial founder agreements
- Preferred stock and convertible debt investments by angel investors and venture capitalists
- Intellectual property licensing and distribution agreements
- Co-development and joint venture agreements
- Mergers & acquisitions
- Public offerings
- Technology transfer
Representative Projects and Transactions
- Represented Retail Convergence, Inc., an online retailer, in a management-led buyout, financing and bank financing.
- Represented two venture capital firms in a Series C investment in Facebook.
- Represented Yodle, an Internet-based company, in several rounds of financing, venture debt and commercial agreements.
- Represented an Internet customer relationship company with an Israeli-based R&D subsidiary in restructuring, venture capital investing, trademark, employment and general corporate matters.
- Represented a developer of electronic design automation software in several rounds of venture capital financing, licensing, distribution agreements, acquisition of UK-based business, trademark, employment and other matters.
- Represented a developer of innovative semi-conductor manufacturing processes and circuits in, angel and venture capital financings, co-development agreements and other general corporate work.
- Represented venture fund in investments in innovative paint company and personal products company.
- Represented German venture fund in investments in US software companies.