The Environmental Law Group at Goulston & Storrs has provided effective representation for clients confronted with hazardous waste issues for more than thirty years. The result of this broad, deep, and on-going experience is that our attorneys handle these projects efficiently and with considerable expertise. Our Environmental Law Group has been recognized by Chambers & Partners “American Leading Business Lawyers,” in Massachusetts continuously since 2003. They comment that "Goulston & Storrs has impressive substantive legal knowledge, decades of experience and the ability to think creatively. One of the best environmental practices in Boston with excellent attorneys who are prime deal-makers.”
Our Environmental Law Group counsels real estate developers, corporations, insurance companies, banks, non-bank lenders, commercial tenants and many other businesses on a broad range of environmental issues at the federal, state and local levels of government.
We ensure that our clients clearly understand the environmental risks associated with business opportunities, as well as their options for managing these risks, including remediation costs for hazardous waste site cleanups, property damage claims and personal injury claims.
Our work frequently involves rigorous due diligence efforts. We work closely with our clients’ environmental engineers, applying our regulatory expertise to make certain that benefits available through programs at the state and federal level are utilized to the fullest extent possible on each project. Often, environmental insurance is also used to manage relevant environmental risks. Recently, we have been increasingly involved with potential vapor intrusion issues.
We also pursue and defend cost recovery actions. We have obtained insurance reimbursement for our clients, including successful claims with respect to the comparatively new environmental insurance products that are now available.
- AvalonBay Communities, Inc.
- Beacon Capital Partners
- Beth Israel Deaconess Hospital
- Boston Redevelopment Authority
- Children's Hospital Boston
- Citizens Bank
- Fairfield Residential
- Harvard University
- National Development
- New Boston Fund
- New England Development
- Nordblom Company
- Massachusetts General Hospital
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- Samuels & Associates
Representative Projects and Transactions
- Represent real estate development company in the redevelopment of the site of a former World War II warship manufacturing location for commercial and residential uses. Remediation fieldwork is now complete at this site. The project is part of a 1.2 million square foot mixed use waterfront redevelopment, and features 240,000 square feet of commercial and retail space.
- Represented real estate investment company in connection with environmental due diligence activities associated with the acquisition of several billion dollars in office properties.
- Represent real estate development company in connection with environmental and environmental insurance issues, including the acquisition of projects in California, Massachusetts, New Jersey and New York, and representation regarding insurance placements and claims under a portfolio-wide environmental insurance policy.
- Environmental counsel to the owner of the New England Patriots football team in connection with the construction of Gillette Stadium, and a new associated regional shopping and entertainment complex.
- Counsel independent real estate investment, development and management firm and its affiliate in the redevelopment of a 42 acre Brownfields site, which was part of the former Boston State Hospital location in Boston. The project, known as “Olmsted Green,” includes over 500 units of market rate townhouses and affordable rentals as well as 83 senior housing units, an urban farm, and other components. Several novel environmental issues were successfully addressed, working closely with the Massachusetts Department of Environmental Protection. Construction is now well underway.
- Counsel large multifamily real estate operating company in connection with environmental issues associated with the acquisition, development, financing and sale of residential apartment and condominium projects, including projects in Arizona, California, the District of Columbia, Florida, Georgia, Massachusetts, North Carolina, Texas, Virginia and Washington.
- Representation of real estate development and management company in connection with its construction, development, and operation of numerous retail and mixed use projects.
- Represent real estate development and management company in connection with environmental insurance issues, environmental cost recovery matters, and the acquisition, development, financing, leasing and sale of several parcels located within the Industri-Plex Superfund Site in Woburn, Massachusetts.
- Counsel to one of the country’s largest private retail developers with respect to financing, insurance, and litigation issues arising out of alleged construction-related contamination of public drinking water wells.