Goulston & Storrs has one of the largest, most diverse and most highly acclaimed Real Estate practices in the United States. Listed as one of the best law firms in which to work in a survey of mid-level associates conducted by The American Lawyer, the firm is home to many nationally recognized attorneys, including members of the American College of Real Estate Lawyers. The Goulston & Storrs Real Estate practice has been top-tier ranked by Chambers USA for over a dozen consecutive years. Chambers states, "this superlative practice has the depth to offer clients assistance in a comprehensive array of real estate matters....a terrifically well-established firm with a wonderfully deep bench." They refer to the firm as "a prime real estate shop, one of the strongest in town.” "There aren't people who do real estate better."
Our Real Estate Practice serves clients through decades of experience in real estate development, entity formation, tax planning, acquisition, finance, leasing and environmental law. We provide legal service, advice and coordination for sophisticated real estate transactions involving entrepreneurs, institutions and public and private entities. The more than 90 attorneys and 10 paralegals in our Real Estate Practice have the judgment, experience, pragmatism and technical skill needed for the prompt implementation of complex real estate projects and transactions nationwide.
Goulston & Storrs counsels major regional and national developers, entrepreneurs, investment funds, REITS, property owners, and commercial tenants who regularly seek the advice, counsel and assistance of members of our Real Estate Practice to further their business objectives, locally, nationally and internationally. Regional and national real estate lenders and investors consistently look to Goulston & Storrs as counsel for their sophisticated debt and equity real estate investments including the structuring of syndicated and capital market transactions.
Every day, Goulston & Storrs finds its Real Estate attorneys forming joint ventures and partnerships, addressing tax concerns and working with developers to obtain permits, approvals and debt and equity financing for retail, office, residential, industrial and hospitality projects. Our Real Estate lawyers are structuring loan and equity financing for project, syndicated and capital market transactions. Major retail and office tenants and landlords are seeing their leasing objectives obtained and protected in the drafting and negotiation of complex leases.
For further information about the Goulston & Storrs Real Estate group, please contact our group co-chairs, David Abromowitz and Steven Schwartz.
- Avalon Bay Communities, Inc.
- Beacon Capital Partners
- Boston Properties
- Boston Redevelopment Authority
- CrossHarbor Capital Partners LLC
- The Druker Company, Ltd.
- Edens and Avant
- Federal Realty Investment Trust
- Fenway Ventures
- John Hancock Financial Services
- Mony Life Insurance Company
- New York City Economic Development Corporation
- Northland Investment Corporation
- Partners HealthCare System, Inc.
- Samuels & Associates
- Shire Human Genetics Therapies, Inc.
- Time Warner, Inc.
- YMCA of Greater New York
Representative Projects and Transactions
- Representation of Federal Realty Investment Trust in connection with the formation of a joint venture and acquisition of a controlling interest in Montrose Crossing, a 357,000 square foot existing shopping center with an adjacent developable parcel in Maryland. The $127M purchase also involved an $80M loan from Allianz Life Insurance Company of North America.
- Representation of Shire Human Genetic Therapies, Inc. in connection with the development and acquisition of the 95-acre Lexington Technology Park in Lexington, Massachusetts, including the negotiation of two space leases, two reverse build-to-suit leases for new facilities, an option agreement giving Shire control of the site and rights of first offer to lease or purchase, the acquisition of a parcel in the park on which Shire constructed a new biotech manufacturing facility, and all related architectural services and construction contracts for the design and construction of such facilities. Also provided necessary environmental due diligence work related to this project.
- Represented the New York City Economic Development Corporation in connection with the development of East River Science Park, a three-building commercial life sciences center to be developed on a 3.5 acre site in the northerly portion of the Bellevue Hospital Campus.
- Representation of CrossHarbor Capital Partners LLC in connection with its acquisition of equity interests in the reorganized Yellowstone Club. The acquisition is one of the largest real estate investments in the country in 2009.
- Acquisition, permitting, development and leasing of Patriot Place (a 1.4M sq. ft. office, retail and hotel complex at Gillette Stadium for The Kraft Group).
- Representation of Federal Realty Investment Trust in connection with creating the complex ownership structure for Assembly Row in Somerville MA. This mixed-use property is made up of multiple parcels and is entitled for up to 2,100 residential units, 1.75 M sq. ft. of commercial space, 512,000 sq. ft. of retail, restaurant and cinema space and a 200 room hotel. In addition, Goulston & Storrs provided counsel in connection with structuring a series of transactions with AvalonBay for AvalonBay to develop the first two parcels. Both will include both ground floor retail space and residential rental units above. This project also included Brownfields redevelopment, a new MBTA rail station, condominium ownership structuring, improvements to state owned parks, REIT tax and other compliance issues and retail leasing.
- Representation of Partners HealthCare System, Inc. in connection with the development of Parcels 6 and 7 in the Charlestown Navy Yard, including acquisition of the site and permitting for a new building to be constructed.
- Representation of Beacon Capital Partners in connection with the acquisition and financing of 30 properties located in the District of Columbia, Virginia and Seattle consisting of over 11.5 million square feet of office space.
- Representation of Federal Realty Investment Trust in connection with multiple separate joint venture arrangements and the acquisition of a controlling interest in Plaza El Segundo in California. In connection with the acquisition, Goulston & Storrs provided counsel regarding the securitized lender’s consent to the equity transfer and various modifications to an existing $175M loan. This 381,000 sq.ft mixed-use retail and restaurant property is adjacent to an 8.1 acre developable land parcel, which was also acquired in the transaction. The project also included Brownfields redevelopment and significant tax compliance issues.
- Represented Time Warner, Inc. in connection with various aspects of the development of Time Warner Center.
- Representation of a major hotel owner and operator based in Maryland in connection with numerous financings, acquisitions and other transactions.
- Counsel to a national financial institution in the bulk sales of both performing and non-performing assets.
- Counsel to John Hancock Financial Services on the $905M sale of the landmark Hancock Tower and related buildings to Beacon Capital Partners.
- Representation of Fenway Ventures in connection with the acquisition, development and financing (debt and equity) of the $200M "Trilogy" mixed-use development adjacent to Fenway Park in Boston, Massachusetts.
- Representation of Bob Vila in connection with multiple real estate investment transactions.
- Representation of a joint venture in the development of the mixed-use 5-star Mandarin Hotel and luxury residential and retail project in Boston.
- Counsel to Samuels & Associates and Edens and Avant in the acquisition, redevelopment and disposition of the Konover Portfolio of 20 shopping centers.
- Representation of Northland Investment Corporation in connection with the $90.5M refinancing of a 2,756 unit portfolio of multifamily communities located in Florida, North Carolina and Texas, structured and financed by Citigroup private bank and Solomon Smith Barney.
- Representation of YMCA of Greater New York in the development of facilities, bond financings and other real estate matters.
- Representation of a real estate investment company in connection with various construction, permanent and mezzanine loans in the District of Columbia, Virginia, Maryland and Florida.