Tax-efficient family wealth planning is the core focus of Andy Rothstein's practice. Andy advises individuals who are public and private company executives, business owners, investment fund managers, owners of investment portfolios, and a range of real estate owners, developers, investors, and managers.
Andy is a Director in the firm's Private Client & Trust Group.
- Counseling clients in understanding legal and tax rules associated with accumulating, managing, and transferring wealth.
- Drafting and implementing revocable and irrevocable trust arrangements to take advantage of income and wealth transfer tax planning opportunities. Advising on the selection of trustees and implementing appropriate trustee succession arrangements. Modifying trusts through the use of non-judicial settlement agreements, trust decanting, and other techniques.
- Forming and operating family entities, with a particular focus on real estate owning entities, and structuring control arrangements, transfer restrictions, and succession plans for these entities. Advising families on unwinding entity structures and minimizing associated income and wealth transfer taxes.
- Forming Private foundations and advising in their operation and compliance with tax rules.
- Implementing arrangements to protect family wealth in contemplation of marriage through the use of trusts and prenuptial agreements, as well as assisting with the management of the effects of divorce on trusts.
- Advising professional and family executors and trustees in understanding fiduciary duties and tax laws in connection with the administration of estates and trusts.
- Representing executors, trustees, and beneficiaries in contested matters with particular experience in contested probate court accounts.
- Serving as a trustee of charitable and non-charitable trusts owning marketable and non-marketable assets, with particular experience serving as a trustee of trusts holding direct and indirect interests in real estate.
Professional and Community Involvement
- Fellow, American College of Trust and Estate Counsel
- Member, Boston Estate Planning Council
- Boston Bar Association
- Member and Co-Chair, Trusts & Estates Section
- Past Co-Chair, Estate Planning Committee, Trusts & Estates Section
- Past Co-Chair, Continuing Legal Education Committee, Trusts & Estates Section
- Past Co-Chair, New Developments Committee, Trusts & Estates Section
- Past Co-Chair, Legislative Committee, Trusts & Estates Section
Awards and Recognition
- Massachusetts Super Lawyers, Rising Stars: 2007 - 2012
Faculty, Planning for & Administering Estates with Unique Assets, MCLE New England (December 2016)