Cary is a real estate attorney who focuses his practice in land use, zoning, development, historic preservation, and municipal law throughout the District of Columbia. Cary represents clients in a variety of land use and zoning matters relating to the development of mixed-use, residential, commercial, and institutional projects.
Cary works with private developers, universities and educational institutions, and non-governmental organizations. His clients seek land use advice and entitlements for properties to be used in the education, institutional, residential, sports and entertainment, retail, and office industries.
Cary represents clients in front of virtually every land use regulatory and governing agency in the District, including the Zoning Commission, the Board of Zoning Adjustment, the Historic Preservation Review Board, the Public Space Committee, the Board for the Condemnation of Insanitary Buildings, the Office of Administrative Hearings, the National Capital Planning Commission, the Commission of Fine Arts, as well as a range of neighborhood and community organizations.
- Representation of a professional sports organization to secure zoning entitlements from the DC Zoning Commission for an open-air, 19,000 seat professional sports stadium. In this process, he assisted the clients with design review, multiple impact analysis, document drafting, and preparation of covenants. He also coordinated multiple professional and governmental agency assessments throughout this in-depth process.
- Secured Board of Zoning Adjustment approval for cutting-edge style residential units in a transit-oriented development to be located near the DC Metro system. This project allows for short-term leases in fully furnished, efficiently built units.
- Secured zoning entitlements for the redevelopment and expansion of an existing office building in downtown Washington DC.
- Representation of an independent secondary school in connection with securing the appropriate approvals from the Board of Zoning Adjustment for expanding both student and faculty population. Also handled significant coordination with governmental agencies for the expansion of the school’s physical facilities with new ground-up construction.
- Representation of a non-governmental organization in connection with the zoning and historic entitlements to expand and reorganize several headquarters buildings within the District.
- Secured all necessary zoning entitlements to operate restaurants in several locations in Washington DC.
- Represented a private developer to secure all necessary zoning and public space entitlements to expand and convert an existing building into a multifamily residential project.
- Represented a multifamily residential developer before the Historic Preservation Review Board to allow the expansion and conversion of multiple buildings within a historic district of Washington DC. Also assisted this client with the review and approval process for the design of this project.
- Represented multiple clients in securing variances and/or special exceptions from the Board of Zoning Adjustment for residential, commercial, industrial, and mixed use projects
- Represented multiple clients in securing necessary Zoning Commission approvals for planned unit developments and rezonings for mixed-use, retail and residential projects.
Professional and Community Involvement
- Urban Land Institute
- Stanford Professionals In Real Estate (SPIRE)
Awards and Recognition
- Washington DC Super Lawyers Rising Stars, 2017
- 2016 Top 40 Lawyers Under 40, Bisnow DC