Chuck Jacob is a litigator advising debt, equity and creditor funds, financial institutions, investment and portfolio managers, real estate owners and mortgage servicers in complex disputes across the financial and real estate industries.
In his financial services litigation practice, Chuck asserts and defends claims for funds, institutional clients, managers and executives involving commercial and investment banking, mortgage-backed securities, CDOs and other derivatives, mortgage servicing, and lender and professional liability. His long experience in the financial industry proves invaluable to these clients as they seek his help, often working closely with internal counsel, to resolve critical business issues through litigation strategies that are both effective and efficient. In this practice, Chuck also provides a sophisticated approach to global discovery for complex or cross-border disputes.
Chuck is also known for his ability to resolve complicated real estate litigation matters that often involve multiple parties. He handles a wide range of disputes related to ownership and construction, mortgage finance, mortgage servicing rights, valuation disputes and breach of contract in addition to related negotiations.
Chuck has extensive trial experience in federal courts (including bankruptcy courts), state courts, and in arbitration and mediation. His effectiveness at resolving disputes favorably stems from his ability to crystallize relevant issues and present complex information in a compelling manner. Clients rely upon his proven ability to identify the most direct path to resolving difficult matters efficiently.
Prior to joining Goulston & Storrs, Chuck was a partner at a top litigation boutique in New York.
- Obtained favorable jury verdict defending client against breach of contract claims by investment bank.
- Obtained favorable settlement for European landowners in cross-border dispute with a foreign sovereign.
- Obtained full recovery of termination payments owed to M&W bank client by defaulting CDO.
- Successful prosecution and defense of claims by investment banks for deal-related compensation under engagement letters.
- Obtained complete relief for a foreign public company's U.S. subsidiary against its former CEO who had breached his fiduciary duties.
- Successful prosecution and defense of numerous mortgage putback cases involving mortgage securitizers, investment and commercial banks, and other parties to mortgage securitization structures.
- Successful representation of a senior banking executive in a high-profile wrongful termination dispute involving a European bank.
- Successful defense of a national mortgage servicing companies in several adversary proceedings brought by Chapter 7 trustees in bankruptcy court.
- Successful defense of principals of a hedge fund advisor and advisory company against breach of fiduciary duty and breach of contract claims.
- Obtained complete recovery for an investment fund client of amounts owed because of an investment bank's bad faith pricing methodology in connection with the closing out of a mortgage-back security residual interest.
- Representation of a mortgage lender that involuntarily became the owner of a toxic mold-damaged hotel in multiple construction and lender liability litigations; took over the stalled cases, which involved more than twenty parties, and within months achieved a settlement of all actions with a recovery higher than the client's best-case estimate.