Hara, a Director at the firm, helped structure some of the more significant neighborhood-transforming real estate transactions in New York City in recent years, including Essex Crossing (on the public side) and Cornell Tech’s Roosevelt Island Campus (on the private side). Her consensus-building approach delivers long-term value to her clients, as many transactions involve lasting relationships through joint ventures, ground leases or condominium regimes.
Hara is recognized nationally as an expert in housing and economic development. She has negotiated low income housing tax credit transactions investing over $1 billion in affordable housing, on behalf of developers and investors. She co-chairs the firm’s Multifamily Housing Industry group and speaks regularly on trends and changes in the industry.
Prior to joining the firm, Hara clerked for the United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit.
- Representation of Forest City Ratner Companies as master builder of the Cornell Tech Campus (a 12-acre, net-zero campus on Roosevelt Island, tying into a central utility plant) and developer of the Bridge at Cornell Tech Condominium. Transaction involved the overlay of ground lease and condominium regimes.
- Representation of Jonathan Rose Companies in connection with the acquisition, financing and redevelopment of multifamily properties across the country. Handled joint venture negotiations, purchase and sale agreements, federal low-income housing tax credit and bond financings, and Fannie/Freddie and other debt.
- Representation of the New York City Economic Development Corporation in connection with the redevelopment of the Seward Park Urban Renewal Area and the sale of two historic office buildings in lower Manhattan. Required a public RFP process and negotiation with multiple bidders.
- Handled formation and 501(c)(3) filing for Civic Consulting USA, which provides social impact consulting. Provides ongoing outside general counsel guidance and serves as Secretary of the Board.
- Negotiated Low Income Housing Tax Credit transactions investing over $1 billion in affordable housing, on behalf of developers and investors.
- Handled sale-leasebacks of office buildings in NYC and DC, including the formation of commercial condominiums regimes and negotiation of zoning lot development/single lot covenant agreements.
Professional and Community Involvement
- Civic Consulting USA, Secretary
- Yale Alumni Real Estate Association, Co-Chair
- Urban Land Institute, Public Private Partnership Product Council Member and formerly Management Committee Member of ULI NY
- Kokushi Budo Institute, Shidoin
Awards and Recognition
- Crain's Leading Women Laywers in New York City, 2018
- Martindale Hubbell Peer-Review Rated AV® Preeminent™
- New York Super Lawyers, Rising Stars, 2014
- Wells Fargo “Who’s Next” Scholarship for Urban Land Institute Young Leaders, 2012
- Kaufman Public Service Fellowship, 2003
- "Leveraging Public-Private Partnerships for Real Estate Development: Beyond Bridges and Roads," Strafford Publications, August 2014
- "Financing Multi-Family Affordable Housing Projects: Leveraging LIHTCs, HUD loan programs, State Financing and Federal Block Grants," Strafford Publications, June 2014
- "Yale Alumni Real Estate Association National Conference: Fresh Capital, Fresh Ideas," April 2014 (Conference Co-Chair)
- "Repositioning Government Real Property via Public Private Partnership," Asset Management Roundtable, October 2013
- AHF Live, The Affordable Housing Developers’ Summit, November 2012
- "Transit-Oriented Development Today," Urban Land Institute of New York YLG, February 2011
- "Peer to Peer Workshop: Affordable Housing," Urban Land Institute New York YLG, April 2010
- "Neighborhood Stabilization Program," Council for Affordable and Rural Housing, June 2009
- "Credit Crisis Impact on Affordable Housing," Association of the Bar of the City of New York, April 2008