Hotel and other real estate transactions; financing, acquisitions and dispositions, hotel management and franchising, and joint venture transactions are the focus of Harold Stahler's extensive practice. Recognized by Chambers USA, Harold is "a thoughtful and creative problem solver with vital business instincts." Harold, a Director and former co-Chair of the firm’s Hospitality & Recreation industry group, maintains a comprehensive real estate and hospitality practice nationally.
- Represented the Massachusetts Convention Center Authority in preparation of an RFP for two new Mid-Priced Hotels to be developed on land acquired by the Authority across the street from the Boston Convention & Exhibition Center in the Boston Seaport District; assisted with evaluation of proposals, which culminated in the selection of a developer team that will build an Aloft and an Element on the site; and negotiated a Development Agreement, Ground Lease and Room Block Agreements with the designated developer on behalf of the Authority.
- Represented Pyramid Hotel Group as an investor in and manager of the Marriott Residence Inn Boston Back Bay/Fenway, which opened in June, 2013, including negotiation of an LLC Agreement and Hotel Management Agreement.
- Represented Pyramid Hotel Group and National Development Associates of New England in connection with the development of the Marriott Residence Inn on Boston Harbor at Tudor Wharf, Boston, Massachusetts, including negotiation of franchise arrangements with Marriott International, Inc. and debt and equity financing involving Marriott International Capital Corporation, General Electric Pension Trust and Anglo Irish Bank; represented Pyramid Hotel Group in connection with its acquisition, ground leasing, and fee and leasehold mortgage refinancing of the Hotel arranged by Citigroup Global Markets.
- Represented Pyramid Hotel Group in the formation of a joint venture with Archon Group and Eastrock Capital to acquire The Westin Orlando, Universal Boulevard, and in the negotiation of a hotel management agreement with the joint venture pursuant to which PHG will manage the hotel.
- Represented Fairmont Raffles Hotels International in connection with the sale of the Fairmont Copley Plaza to Felcor Lodging Trust.
- Represented the developer of the Mandarin Oriental, Boston with respect to hotel and property management agreements, and branding arrangements, for the Mandarin Oriental Hotel, Residences and Apartments.
- Represented Pyramid Hotel Group, as asset manager and then liquidating bankruptcy trustee, in connection with the MS Resorts eight-hotel resort portfolio.
- Represented ownership in the negotiation of a hotel management agreement for the Millennium Hotel in Phuket, Thailand.
- Represented ownership in connection with hotel management and related financing arrangements for The Westin Boston, Waterfront, the headquarters hotel for the Boston Convention & Exhibition Center.
- Represented ownership in connection with restructuring the management agreement for the Four Seasons Hotel, Boston.
- Represented Aldrich, Eastman and Waltch, a pension fund investor, and DINE, a Mexican development company, in connection with the development of the Four Seasons Resort (hotel, timeshare, villas and golf course) at Punta Mita, Puerto Vallarta, Mexico.
- Represented Intercontinental Real Estate Fund in connection with the management agreement and construction financing for, and ultimately the disposition of, the Nine Zero Hotel, Boston, Massachusetts.
- Represented Dart Enterprises in the negotiation of Hotel Management Agreement with Kimpton Hotels & Restaurants for Kimpton Hotel to be developed by Dart on Grand Cayman Island.
- Represented Fairmont Hotels & Resorts in connection with the hotel management agreement for the Fairmont Battery Wharf Hotel, Boston.
- Represented Pyramid Hotel Group in connection with the proposed public offering of Pyramid Hotels & Resorts, Inc.
Professional and Community Involvement
- Board of Directors, Jewish Community Housing for the Elderly;
- Board Chair (2003-2006).
Awards and Recognition
- Massachusetts Super Lawyers, 2004 - 2005, 2008 - 2016
- "America’s Leading Business Lawyers," Chambers USA 2010-2016
- Martindale Hubbell Peer Review Rated AV Preeminent TM