Karen O’Malley is a real estate attorney who represents a diverse range of clients including large public and private real estate companies, as well as some smaller businesses and non-profits. She has extensive experience in all aspects of real estate practice, including acquisitions, dispositions, development, financing and leasing.
Karen has broad experience in the area of retail law. Her practice focuses on retail and office leasing within mixed-used properties. In the retail context, she counsels and represents landlords leasing to national, regional and local tenants, anchor and junior anchor retailers, entertainment facilities and restaurants. Her projects are often transportation-centered, mixed used projects, including new developments and redevelopments, as well as enclosed malls and lifestyle centers.
Karen also represents landlords and tenants in connection with leasing a variety of office buildings, including corporate headquarters and mixed-use developments.
- Represent WS Development in connection with retail and office leasing throughout its diverse portfolio, including the new Seaport Square Project in Boston, MA, which is a 7.5 Million square foot mixed-used retail, office, residential, and hospitality project featuring distinctive public parks and amenities, and the Royal Poinciana Plaza, which is an approximately 190,000 sq. ft. of high end, boutique retail shopping in Palm Beach, FL.
- Represent Federal Realty Investment Trust in retail and office leasing at Assembly Row, a cohesive shop, dine, work, live and play property located in Somerville, MA. This multi-phased project is a mixed-use property that is transit oriented. Major retail tenants include an AMC Theater, Legoland Discovery Center, Saks Off 5th, as well as a variety of other retail and restaurant uses, including Legal Seafoods and Earl’s, a Canadian restaurant entering the US.
- Represent Samuels & Associates in connection with leasing needs throughout this client’s portfolio including the redevelopment of the Landmark Center. Within the Fenway neighborhood, represent this client in the leasing to a childcare center as well as to most of its restaurant tenants, including Tiger Mama, Hojoko and Saloniki. Also, negotiated the lease of a Trader Joe’s grocery store within the mixed-use Continuum, adjacent to Harvard University and located in Allston, MA.
- Represent Boston Properties in connection with the leasing of 450,000 square feet of office space to one of the largest private, independent investment management company. This was the first green skyscraper and is a platinum LEED rated office tower on Atlantic Wharf in Boston, MA.
- Represent a neighborhood development corporation in the acquisition, development, financing and leasing of affordable housing, mixed-use, and transportation-oriented developments in the Dorchester neighborhood of Boston.
- Represent a retail chain in the disposition of its portfolio of properties in Massachusetts and Rhode Island.
Professional and Community Involvement
- Member, Georgetown University Law Center Advanced Commercial Leasing Institute (ACLI) Advisory Board
- Member, CREW Boston (formerly NEWIRE)
- Founding Board of Advisors, Victim Rights Law Center
- Member, International Council of Shopping Centers
- Editorial Board, Shopping Center Legal Update, International Council of Shopping Centers
- Member, School Council Advisory Board, Mason Rice Elementary School
- Co-Chair, Pro Bono Committee, Goulston & Storrs
- Peer to Peer Speaker, "Will Your Lease Stand Up When The Roof Falls Down," International Council of Shopping Center Law Conference 2016
- Invited Attendee, Georgetown University Law Center, Advanced Commercial Leasing Institute, 2016
- CREW National Convention, Fall 2014
- Workshop Speaker, "Noises, Vibrations and Odors – Oh My! Restaurant Uses in Mixed-Use Developments," International Council of Shopping Center Law Conference 2014
- Seminar Speaker, "Allocation of Risk: Insurance, Indemnity and Casualty Provisions – What’s in Your Policy," International Council of Shopping Center Law Conference 2013
- Greater Boston Real Estate Board, Commercial Brokers Association, January 2011