Cornell University, College of Engineering, B.S., 1999
Northeastern University School of Law, J.D., 2007
Kate is an environmental lawyer and engineer. A Director with the firm, Kate advises developers, owners, tenants, corporations and lenders on a wide range of environmental matters including those related to contaminated property, indoor environmental pollution, regulatory compliance and green building strategies. Chambers USA recognizes Kate, highlighting that she is a "true asset on complex environmental issues" for her "fantastic technical knowledge."
Kate helps purchasers, prospective tenants, owners and operators of buildings throughout U.S. in connection with environmental due diligence activities, remediation programs and indoor environmental pollution issues such as indoor air quality, lead paint and asbestos operations and maintenance programs. She also advises clients in connection with regulatory compliance matters and enforcement actions.
Prior to joining the firm, Kate worked as a civil/environmental engineer, performing site remediation, construction and assessment services for private and public clients, including large corporations, major utility providers and the US Military. She also interned with the Office of Regional Counsel at the US Environmental Protection Agency. Kate is a Registered Professional Engineer in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts and a LEED Accredited Professional.
- Counsel to several major multi-family and real estate developers in connection with a wide variety of brownfield property acquisitions, dispositions, development projects and regulatory matters. Assist these clients with due diligence, remedial plans, contracting, insurance, regulatory matters and the management of environmental risk often acting to “pressure test” or translate the recommendations of environmental consultants or regulators.
- Ongoing environmental advice to major universities and hospitals, such as Harvard University and Children’s Hospital Boston, in connection with site remediation, waste management, environmental compliance and green construction projects.
- Representation of borrowers and lenders in connection with the environmental aspects of traditional real estate lending as well as REIT financing, private equity funding and strategic joint ventures for real estate investment. Also advise clients in connection with obtaining environmental insurance to mitigate risks associated with the environmental indemnifications generally required by lenders.
- Counseled developer in connection with the purchase and remediation/redevelopment of a former pesticide manufacturing facility and the subsequent sale of the redeveloped property. Assisted the client with environmental due diligence, negotiating environmental provisions of purchase and sale agreements, remedial plans, regulatory compliance issues and cost recovery through Brownfields tax credits.
- Provide advice to companies in connection with environmental claims (e.g., cost recovery actions for environmental cleanup costs). This often involves drafting and responding to demand letters and assisting clients with settlement negotiations.
Professional and Community Involvement
- Board of Directors of the Emerald Necklace Conservancy
- Pro Bono environmental work for non-profit organizations
- American Society of Civil Engineers
- Boston Bar Association
- Chi Epsilon Civil Engineering Honor Society
Awards and Recognition
- Chambers USA, “America’s Leading Business Lawyers," 2010-2013, 2016-2017
- Massachusetts Super Lawyers, 2013 - 2015
- Massachusetts Super Lawyers Rising Stars, 2009 - 2012
- Banker & Tradesman's 2008 Class of New Leaders