Columbia University, B.A., summa cum laude
Harvard Law School, J.D.
U.S. Supreme Court
U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals, Second Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals, Fourth Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
Martin Edel is a litigator who focuses his practice in employment, sports and entertainment and complex commercial litigation. Marty represents companies and individuals in the financial services, banking, sports and entertainment, media and retail industries. He has deep experience trying cases in federal and state courts, and also handles the full range of arbitration, including FINRA and AAA arbitrations. Known for his honed skills as a trial lawyer and his instinct for developing creative solutions, clients turn to Marty when they have challenging issues and complex litigation matters.
With a robust employment practice, Marty advises and represents companies in a variety of industries on hiring, termination, discrimination claims and other transformative matters. Marty also advises and represents senior executives and managing directors on the full range of hiring, termination, discrimination, non-compete and restrictive covenant matters.
Marty’s thriving sports and entertainment practice includes advising sports teams and leagues, agents and executives, as well as brand-name media networks in connection with licensing, antitrust matters, dispute resolution, intellectual property and complex contractual disputes.
Prior to joining Goulston & Storrs, Marty was a partner at Miller & Wrubel P.C. and was formerly associated with Cravath, Swaine & Moore L.L.P.
- Representation of a Fortune 500 financial services company in lawsuit against a retailer and former senior executives that the retailer hired. Successfully defeated motions to dismiss claims for breach of non-compete and non-disclosure agreement by former executives and for tortious interference by retailer. Successfully settled case after the retailer’s attempt to dismiss the claims failed.
- Representation of a financial services company in commencing and successfully settling claims concerning other financial service companies’ attempt to thwart payment for securities in different tranches.
- Representation of senior executives and financial service companies in defeating claims of raiding and violation of non-compete and non-solicitation agreements.
- Representation of health services company and senior officers in claims for breach of contract and age discrimination by senior executive. Successfully tried case resulting in complete defense verdict, which was upheld on appeal.
- Representation of publicly traded retailer in claims made by a rival retailer concerning licensing of designs. Successfully defeated motions seeking preliminary injunctive relief prior to trial, during trial and on appeal.
- Representation of retailer in intellectual property dispute with designer. Successfully obtained dismissal of all claims before trial, which was upheld on appeal.
- Representation of distributor of watches in claims for breach of licensing agreement by international manufacturer. Successfully defended against preliminary injunction.
- Representation of not-for-profit in trademark infringement suit. Successfully defeated motion for preliminary injunction to enjoin use of trademark and tried case.
- Representation of sports league in gaining dismissal of claims by sports photographer for damages for lost photos.
- Representing and advising sports team concerning stadium leases and licenses and ticketing practices.
- Representation of cable television network in successful interpleader action involving the network, its talent and their manager.
- Representation of cable television network in successfully defeating counterclaims for tortious interference with contract, defamation and breach of licensing agreement.
Professional and Community Involvement
- American Bar Association
- New York City Bar Association
- New York City Bar Association, Sports Law Committee (former Chair)
- Adjunct Professor, Brooklyn Law School (Antitrust, Sports, 1999-present)
- Adjunct Instructor, NYU Tisch Institute for Sports Management (2015-present)
- Posse Foundation
Awards and Recognition
- New York Superlawyer® 2010-2011, 2013-2018
- Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Rated AV Preeminent™
- NYU Sports Law Conference, 2014-2018
- Cardozo Sports Law Conference, 2018
- Federal Bar Council, 2014
- Fordham Law Symposium on Legal Issues in Professional Sports, 2002
- CLE Lectures