Matthew R. Hillery concentrates his practice on estate planning for high net worth individuals and families, trust and estate administration, the formation and operation of nonprofit charitable organizations and issues relating to charitable giving. A Director in the firm's Private Client group, Matt advises individual clients on trusts and estates and tax planning matters both in the United States and abroad, including business owners, investors, professionals and trust beneficiaries, and also has represented large banks and trust companies serving as fiduciaries. He has formed a variety of charitable organizations, and has advised nonprofits on governance and fundraising issues. Matt also has experience with the preparation of charitable gift planning instruments for institutional and individual clients.
- Works with families to produce estate plans that optimize tax planning but also accomplish their non-tax goals, including asset preservation and family business succession.
- Prepares sophisticated giving strategies designed to leverage clients’ available credits and exemptions from federal estate, gift and generation-skipping transfer taxes, including grantor retained annuity trusts, qualified personal residence trusts, charitable lead trusts, and sales to intentionally defective grantor trusts.
- Advised international clients with U.S. ties and U.S. citizens living abroad on the application of U.S. income and wealth transfer taxes to them.
- Advised a national donor advised fund on all aspects of its operation and administration, including corporate governance and management, call center operation, gift processing and donation management, planned giving, customized grant making, marketing, and private label products.
- Represented clients in audits of gift tax returns by the Internal Revenue Service.
Professional and Community Involvement
- Member and Past Co-Chair of the Trust & Estate Section's Practice Fundamentals Committee and Public Policy Committee, Boston Bar Association
- Member, Planned Giving Group of New England
- Member, Boston Estate Planning Council
- Member, Trusts & Estates Consortium
- Member, Harvard Student Agencies Alumni Graduate Board
- Member, Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners (STEP)
Awards and Recognition
- Named "Massachusetts Rising Star" by the National Law Journal, 2014
- Massachusetts Super Lawyers Rising Stars, 2014-2016
Seminars & Events
|Speaker, "Legislative/Charitable Planning Update," Charitable Asset Management 2017 Gift Planning Conference|
|Speaker, "Cross-Border Estate Planning," BBA|
|Speaker, "U.S. Tax and Estate Planning for Foreign Persons," Society of Financial Service Professionals|
|Presenter, "Dealing with the Section 2704 Proposed Regulations," MCLE 18th Annual New England Estate Planning Conference|
|Presenter, "U.S. Tax and Estate Planning for Foreign Persons," Meritas|