Peter Kochansky is a real estate development and public law and policy lawyer. In his real estate development work, Peter specializes in securing land use approvals for complex, mixed-use projects in the city of Boston, including waterfront sites.
Peter's expertise involves all aspects of zoning compliance and other public approvals, environmental impact reviews, and regulatory compliance. He assists clients from the conceptual stages of complex projects through to the issuance of building permits, project completion, and occupancy.
In his public law and policy work, Peter specializes in structuring and effecting public-private partnerships to fund and deliver real estate development and transportation projects.
He has advised both public and private clients on novel projects that leverage multiple funding sources to finance public-private projects, including the management and operation of public open space and the delivery of effective social services.
Peter’s work with public entities involves advising them on Public Records Law and Open Meeting Law compliance, and he counsels public and private clients on compliance with the State Ethics Law, the Massachusetts Lobbying Law, and state procurement laws.
Peter has deep expertise in public transportation matters, having represented the MBTA and MassDOT on the acquisition of railroad assets and the negotiation of agreements among those public agencies, Amtrak, and private freight railroads.
Prior to law school, Peter worked for Clinton-Gore ’96 and the Democratic National Committee as the Deputy Finance Director for New York and New Jersey.
- Represented the owner and developer of the 23-acre Seaport Square Project, located in the South Boston Seaport district, in securing permits and approvals for the development of 6.3 million square feet of mixed-use development. Serves as land use counsel to WS Development, the current owner of the remaining development parcels within Seaport Square, in connection with approvals for changes to the master plan.
- Represents Berkeley Investments, Inc. a full-service real estate investment and development company, in connection with multiple City of Boston development projects, including the rehabilitation of historic buildings and new construction in the Fort Point District and the Charlestown neighborhood.
- Counsel to the HYM Investment Group on the Bulfinch Crossing project, the 2.9 million square foot, multi-phase redevelopment of the Government Center Garage in Boston.
- Representation of Harvard University in connection with land use and permitting for Harvard’s Science and Engineering Complex and network of public realm improvements for its Allston campus.
- Advised the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA) and the Massachusetts Department of Transportation (MassDOT) in connection with the acquisition by MassDOT of the South Coast Rail lines, the Framingham Secondary lines, and other railroad assets from CSX Transportation and other freight railroads. Peter’s railroad works has included the negotiations of trackage rights and operating agreements with CSX, Amtrak, the Rhode Island Department of Transportation, and Pan Am Railways and other freight railroads.
- Represented the Massachusetts Convention Center Authority in the procurement for a developer of hotels in proximity to the Boston Convention and Exhibition Center.
- Represented Roca, Inc., a non-profit provider of services to high-risk young men, in securing funding through the Massachusetts Juvenile Justice Pay for Success Initiative, the largest social innovation financing project in the nation.
- Counsel to the Rose Fitzgerald Kennedy Greenway Conservancy, Inc. in its public-private partnership to operate and maintain the capacity as the steward of the Greenway in downtown Boston.