Business disputes, professional malpractice defense and intellectual property defense are the foundation of Tom Sartory's active civil litigation practice. Tom’s position as a Fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers testifies to his extensive experiences and high quality work as a litigator. Chambers USA describes Tom as "an intelligent, thorough, resourceful, practical and effective litigator." He is also the author of the "Licensing" chapter in Business and Commercial Litigation in Federal Courts, 3rd edition, an 11 volume series published by West Publishing and the American Bar Association. Tom is the firm’s General Counsel.
- Representation of shareholders of a closely held corporation with annual revenue of $400M in a control dispute with other shareholders.
- Representation of national law firm in defense of malpractice and disciplinary claims of conflict of interest.
- Representation of national law firm in defense of suit by third-party investors in firm’s client.
- Service as party arbitrator for national teaching hospital in dispute over royalties for projects developed from research at the hospital.
- Representation of medical devices manufacturer in inventorship dispute.
- Representation of owners of internationally famous golf course against national discount retail chain for trademark infringement.
- Representation of major textile manufacturer in tort action for damages arising from fire that destroyed most of manufacturer’s production facilities.
Professional and Community Involvement
- Massachusetts State Ethics Commission (2015-present)
- Committee on Professional Ethics, Massachusetts Bar Association (1988-present)
- Committee on Human Studies (“IRB”), Harvard Medical School (1980-1992)
Awards and Recognition
- Martindale Hubbell Peer Review Rated AV Preeminent TM
- Chambers USA, “America’s Leading Business Lawyers”, 2011-2012
- Best Lawyers in America 1996-2017
- Massachusetts Super Lawyers, 2004 - 2016
- Fellow, American College of Trial Lawyers
- Former Special Counsel to Massachusetts Judicial Conduct Commission
- Former Chair, Business Litigation Committee, Massachusetts Bar Association
- Presenter, "MCLE Loss Prevention: A Roundtable Discussion," March 2009
- Faculty, “Defining the Client Relationship,” MCLE Seminar, August 2008
- Faculty, “Malpractice Claims Against Lawyers,” MCLE Seminar, July 2005