Estate Planning for Real Estate Assets
Why do so many high net worth clients rely on Goulston & Storrs for estate planning and administration services that involve substantial real estate assets? Because our firm houses a rare combination of renowned private client, real estate and tax practices, coupled with strong corporate, probate and fiduciary support services necessary to create, implement, and maintain sophisticated estate plans.
Our firm features one of the most highly acclaimed real estate practices in the United States, and our Private Client & Trust Group is one of the largest in New England. We work with individuals and families (and their enterprises and foundations), providing them with legacy, succession, and tax planning to insure generation-to-generation stability and wealth preservation.
Clients also choose us for our ability to provide administration, custody and family office services that support complex estates and trusts with substantial real estate and business interests.
Our Private Client & Trust Group integrates the work of real estate, tax, corporate, probate, accounting, and administrative professionals to provide clients with total solutions to their trust and estate needs.
1. Private Client & Fiduciary Services: We are recognized leaders in the mastery of tax-sensitive estate planning and structuring techniques, which we customize to fit each client’s financial, charitable, risk management and personal objectives. Our firm also features strong fiduciary and administration teams that provide numerous family office and custody services. We are particularly experienced in the administration of large and complex trusts and estates, especially those involving business and real estate interests.
2. Real Estate: Our real estate team has earned a top-tier ranking from Chambers USA for more than 12 consecutive years. We have deep experience handling property acquisitions and dispositions, all types of leasing, environmental issues, construction matters, global property investment, land use, zoning, and property development matters. That is why many reputable developers, property owners, public-private partnerships, nonprofit institutions, family trusts and foundations rely on our counsel.
3. Corporate: Family enterprises, as well as commercial clients of all sizes, ranging from start-ups to global public companies, seek our counsel. We provide these clients with valuable services related to banking and finance, capital markets and securities, employment law, intellectual property, mergers and acquisitions, and other important needs.
4. Probate Litigation: Clients entrust their most important personal and family matters – including will contests, trust disputes, and all other kinds of trust and estate disputes – to the attorneys of the firm’s acclaimed Probate & Fiduciary Litigation Group. The MA Probate & Family Court has sought our advice on procedures for trust reformation and on specialized sessions for complex trust and estate issues; and in NY, we are on the cutting edge in handling Article 77 expedited trust proceedings. A critical point of distinction is when a dispute over trust or estate property involves real estate, as it often does, we can draw upon the resources of our nationally renowned Real Estate Group.
5. Tax Planning & Strategy: Our tax team works closely with the firm’s Private Client & Trust group to guide clients with real estate assets/closely-held businesses through a range of tax related matters to maximize benefits, including wealth transfer and succession planning advice, family limited partnership structuring, business succession issues, charitable planning, and foundation development matters. Additionally, we assist with business formations, mergers & acquisitions, divestitures, and partnership formations including real estate joint ventures.