John Hanify is recognized as a leading business trial lawyer in Massachusetts, who represents businesses and financial institutions in complex, high-stakes commercial litigation. He has tried dozens of jury and non-jury cases in Massachusetts state and federal courts, and facilitates mediation for clients seeking alternatives to litigation.
John has extensive trial experience in a wide range of business and real estate disputes involving mergers and acquisitions, federal securities laws, lender liability, ERISA, real estate developments, and fiduciary duty. He also appears before federal and state agencies on behalf of clients involved in government investigations.
According to Chambers USA, John is a “ferocious advocate who works quickly and efficiently” and clients rely on his “his succinct style and authoritative presence in court”.
Boston College Law School recently named John Alumnus of the Year by Boston College Law School for his outstanding alumni service. John began his career as an Assistant U.S. Attorney for the District of Massachusetts, where he received the Justice Department’s Outstanding Performance Award for defending the constitutionality of various federal statutes and challenges to the Defense Department's phased array early warning systems. He also served as Special Assistant Attorney General for the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.
John frequently writes and lectures on topics involving business litigation, corporate risk management, NITA negotiation, and mediation skills programs.
- Best Lawyers in America, 1999-2018
- Massachusetts Super Lawyers, 2004-2017
- William J. Kenealy, SJ, Alumnus of the Year Award, Boston College Law School, 2016
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, Boston Bar Association
- Member, Massachusetts Bar Association
- Dean's Advisory Counsel, Boston College Law School
- Boston College Law School (J.D., 1974)
- Harvard University (A.B., 1971)