Andy Rothstein is a trusts and estates lawyer who focuses on sophisticated, tax-efficient estate and personal planning needs of high net worth individuals and families. He advises clients on the legal and tax rules associated with accumulating, managing, and transferring wealth, helping to develop legal structures and tax strategies to preserve and grow their wealth over time.
In his practice, Andy counsels real estate owners, developers, investors, and managers, public and private company executives, business owners, investment fund managers, and owners of investment portfolios. He also counsels trustees about their duties, helping them to comply with all legal requirements related to the administration of trusts and estates.
Andy serves as a trustee for charitable and non-charitable trusts owning marketable and non-marketable assets, and he has particular experience serving as a trustee of trusts holding direct and indirect interests in real estate.
Andy has been quoted in multiple publications and has written and presented on a multitude of topics that impact his clients, including options and risks involved in trustee accountings and trust terminations, family partnerships, business succession, and planning for and administering estates with unique assets.
Andy is a co-Chair in the firm's Private Client & Trust Group.
- Chambers High Net Worth (HNW)
- Individual Ranking, 2021 (Band 4); 2022 (Band 3)
- Firm Ranking, 2017-2022 (Band 2)
- Best Lawyers in America® (2023): Trust and Estates
- American College of Trust and Estate Counsel, Fellow
- Professional Responsibility Committee, Member
- Practice Committee, Member
- Uniform Trust Decanting Act, Subcommittee Member
- Boston Bar Association
- Trusts & Estates Section, Past Co-Chair
- Trusts & Estates Section, Estate Planning Committee, Past Co-Chair
- Trusts & Estates Section, Continuing Legal Education Committee, Past Co-Chair,
- Trusts & Estates Section, New Developments Committee, Past Co-Chair
- Trusts & Estates Section, Public Policy, Past Co-Chair
- Boston Estate Planning Council, Member
- New York
- U.S. Tax Court
- Case Western Reserve University School of Law (J.D., cum laude, 1998)
- Oberlin College (B.A., 1995)
- Boston University School of Law (LL.M., 2000)