Dan Avery is a senior corporate and M&A attorney counseling companies across a wide variety of industries in their strategic transactions and operational matters. During his tenure at the firm, Dan has overseen the acquisition or disposition of over 100 different businesses located throughout the world. In his M&A practice, Dan represents both buyers and sellers, private equity and strategic parties, domestically and internationally. He also assists operating companies in contracting, financing, employment, IP, governance and general legal matters.
Dan is nationally known as a leading expert on M&A deal terms. He was for many years a member of the publishing committee for the American Bar Association’s private company M&A deal point studies, which are the most influential and established market studies in this area. Dan is also the creator and author of a 25 article series published by Bloomberg Law which looks at market trends in M&A deal points. These articles are relied upon by M&A professionals, including lawyers, accountants and investment bankers, as well as for academic and legal training purposes. The articles can be accessed at our What’s Market web page by clicking here. Dan regularly speaks and writes on other M&A and corporate law developments and topics.
Dan is resident in the firm's DC office but has a national and international practice.
- 2021 JD Supra Readers' Choice Award (for thought leadership on mergers and acquisitions, based on top 10 (of 3,200) international readership ranking)
- Martindale Hubbell Peer Review Rated AV Preeminent TM
- Massachusetts Super Lawyer, 2004, 2008 - 2016, 2019 - 2020
- District of Columbia
- University of Massachusetts at Amherst (B.A., 1985)
- Boston University School of Law (J.D., 1988)