Alan Rottenberg conducts a broad-based real estate, business and philanthropic practice.
He provides general counsel and strategic planning to businesses, individuals and families, frequently counseling developers, business entrepreneurs, institutional lenders and major tenants in sophisticated real estate and business transactions.
Alan also provides philanthropic and wealth transfer counseling.
Alan joined the firm in 1969, and his distinguished experience in representing different sides of transactions enables him to anticipate issues, adding perspective and judgment important to the success of a complex transaction.
Chambers USA recognizes Alan as “a legend and a seasoned leader in the field, esteemed for his diverse experience in a broad spectrum of real estate matters."
- Best Lawyers in America® (2013, 2019-2020): Real Estate Law
- Martindale Hubbell Peer Review Rated AV Preeminent TM
- Massachusetts Super Lawyers, 2004 - 2016, 2019 - 2020
- "America's Leading Business Lawyers," Chambers USA 2003-2016
- Combined Jewish Philanthropy 2011 Community of Excellence Award
- Best Lawyers in America, 2004-2017
- Fellow, American College of Real Estate Lawyers
- Listed as one of the World’s Leading Real Estate Lawyers, 2004
- The International Who’s Who of Real Estate Lawyers, 2004
- Fellow, American College of Real Estate Lawyers (ACREL)
- International Council of Shopping Centers (ICSC)
- Trustee and Former Chair of the Board, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center
- Former Chair, Real Estate Section, Boston Bar Association
- Former Editorial Board Member, Real Estate Finance Association (REFA)
- Advisor Emeritus, Boston Symphony Orchestra
- Board of Governors, Combined Jewish Philanthropies of Greater Boston, Inc.
- Director, Jewish Arts Collaborative
- Director, Stoneman Family Charitable Foundation
- Former Director, Newton Schools Foundation
- Former Director, Boston’s Fourth of July Foundation, Inc.
- Dartmouth College (B.A., summa cum laude, 1966)
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Harvard Law School (J.D., 1969)